OT - taking a Model K on curves, then starting from a stop on high gear.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - taking a Model K on curves, then starting from a stop on high gear.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 11:03 pm:

Getting the N and K ready for Paynesville and New London to New Brighton MN. With a GoPro camera strapped to my head, I took the Ford six on a series of tight curves on our county roads. Following the curves, a quick run up to 50 mph (our county road speed limit). With five minutes remaining in the video, a start on high gear:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lglly3m47yni8vu/K%20on%20curves%2C%20start%20on%20high.mov?dl=0

We hope to have three Model K at the 30th anniversary Antique Car Run (New London to New Brighton, MN). We also have an Early Ford Registry tour and gathering the week prior in Paynesville, MN.

If anyone is interested in joining us, send me a p.m. or contact any Early Ford Registry member. We welcome brass Model Ts and brass cars on the Early Ford Tour. The Antique Car Run is open to all pre 1916 cars (pre-tours, Tuesday through Friday), and any car built prior to 1909, or one and two cylinder cars built before 1916 on the Saturday big run (120 miles, New London to New Brighton MN).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

Hey Guys, we need to thank Rob for sticking his neck out and getting involved with the K,s. So much has been found out about the K that most never knew or would have never known. We now know that the K was a great car and not the slug modern history tried to portray it to be. And the BEST OF ALL we get to see the K in action. And lots of it. Rob drives his car a lot as it should be and we get to go along for the ride on his dime. Thanks Rob for all that you have brought to us. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 01:18 am:

Rob - What a great video,.....fascinating to watch! You can sure tell that the "K" is a big heavy, long wheelbase car that likes to "cruise"! I really, really like the sound of that engine, but wish I could hear it even better.

A thought (oh,oh.....) just occurred to me. I love the head camera, as we are then watching the same thing as you, the driver, is seeing. Now then, if it were possible to pick up the sound of the engine instead of the wind,....say maybe a microphone out of the wind and down low up next to the firewall so we could hear the engine/drive train sounds that the driver is hearing as well as seeing what the driver is seeing, I'd think it would almost be like us "viewers" were there driving. And, don't take this wrong, but if the "chitty chitty bang bang music could be made "optional", with our eyes on the steering and on the road like your eyes, and with the sweet sound of that big 6 cylinder engine, that would almost provide a real "driving experience"! Probably not possible without huge expenditure for more sophisticated audio/visual equipment tho' huh Rob? Anyway, just a thought,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 01:52 am:

When is the run this year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 02:01 am:

So we can take off in high gear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 08:37 am:

Scott,
Thank you

Harold,
Your right, I need to get an external mike. I just looked at some examples and will try to find something.

Stan,
The Antique Auto Run pre-tours are Aug 9th through 12th, with the big run on Saturday, the 13th. The EFR (Early Ford) will assemble the prior weekend, Aug 5th through the 8th. The EFR portion is simply a gathering.

Each day we will choose a nearby location, and meander toward it. We don't go far, and we don't go fast (OK, sometimes some of us do).

Chris,
The Model K, with high torque and horsepower to weight ratio, was advertised for the ability to drive on high gear under most circumstances. A few cars of the period, most notable the English Napier, even offered cars with no intermediary gear, just high. A few high end cars had variations of the two speed transmission including the Gearless. I'll put up a little more when I can get to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 11:13 am:

This is the same "test" with our (former) K touring:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LANpHfHnSHY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

A few other high end cars that advertised Gearless transmissions:

It appears there was consid

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 11:39 pm:

Regarding "The Antique Car Run." This is the 30th year anniversary. As a result, they have added a day of pre-tours. This would be a good year to consider attending, with any brass car. Four days of great hub tours.

Each year the tour sponsors a poster and the commemorative shirt design. My favorite?

2013:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

Nice, so very nice! Thank you Rob.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

The Magnificent 6 Ride Again! (...and Rob makes 7;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

Rob, I think you'll need a different camera to use an external mike. I crossed the GoPro off my shopping list because of that. In fact, I found NO cameras with that feature at a price I'm willing to pay. There are some otherwise good cameras I passed up because of that deficiency.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

Thanks guys. Steve, I found a mike today that integrates into the GoPro camera. I'm uploading a clip now. We'll see how it does.....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration