Coating for steering bracket wood block

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Coating for steering bracket wood block
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 12:15 am:

I'm assuming Ford left the steering bracket wood block raw, but is there a coating I should put on? Boiled linseed oil? Polyurethane?

Also big thanks to John Semprez for his help riveting my steering column. I'm getting close to having my coupe back on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 08:36 am:

I always coat them with black paint. Don't know whether that's "correct" or not, but it looks nice since everything around it is black as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 09:17 am:

The ones I've seen over the years didn't have any paint or coating that I've seen. Its probably a good idea to put something on it for preservation.

The cars and remains of chassis that I've disassembled didn't have one. One had the remains or what was left of it.

Over time they were left out or rotted away.

Probably one of the most neglected pieces on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 09:33 am:

Linseed oil boiled or not is fine for indoor furniture use. It does nothing to preserve wood that is exposed to oil or moisture.

Polyurethane clear or black enamel work well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 09:57 am:

I have several NOS wood blocks. They all have a very thin black paint on them. Almost like a "black stain" They also show signs of runs and drips. They may have been dipped in a very thin black paint and then just thrown in bins to dry. I have also removed several original blocks thru the years. Even though the part exposed to the weather was in poor condition, there seemed to be traces of the black paint in hidden locations. I have no real written evidence to support this, just the "fossil evidence" I have seen thru the years. ... I will try and post a photo of my NOS blocks later ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 10:15 am:

I'll go along with Donnie. I've had several NOS blocks over the years, that appear to be as Donnie described.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

I have also had several original blocks with remnants of thin black (probably wash) still on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

Gilsonite, in mineral spirits.
I usually paint them flat black, close enough.
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

Here are some pics of NOS blocks.

These four are with no flash and show the black color fairly accurate to in-person.

These five are with flash. They show how thin the paint really is.

The next three show some of the wood inside the cowl area. It is original wood, and appears to have the same black coating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Excellent photos Donnie. I brush painted my new block with a thinned black paint and then wiped it down to get rid of the excess for a thinner look. Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration