1916 Oil Cap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1916 Oil Cap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 09:48 am:

I would like to know if they used this oil cap after 1916. Would appreciate a photo from a known documented original car. As you can see, it is the same as a late cap, except it still has the Ford script, and Made In USA that the 1915 cap has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Larry,
Nope, I just know it won't work on your car no matter what the experts say, but I'll pay the postage to ship it here for my '16!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

As I recall the '15 has 6 flutes with the script & "made in USA"..if it wasn't so dang hot out & being so lazy I'd go to the barn & check mine. This one Larry has just might be one of those super rare kind worth tons of money?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

Larry, I thought that you were the expert! :-)
I know that I don't know as much as I think I do. So I am watching this, waiting for the definitive answer.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

This ones been on our 16 since a least 1941

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

This is the fun part of these cars..just when you think you "have it all down" thru research these kind of surprises pop up. Time for an addendum to the encyclopedia! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

Plain Jane, non-embossed on my roadster, Rip Van Winkle touring and my dad's touring - May, June and July 1917 cars respectively. Each of the original owners lived within a 50 mile radius of Minneapolis so all were most likely assembled in Minneapolis.

For very early 1917 contact Jim Sims and see if his car has an embossed or plain cap. His unrestored 1917 touring serial number corresponds to August 7, 1916.

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profil e=jim_sims-users

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/494360.html?1416017659

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

Sorry, I can't be of any help on this. My 17 has the common late style oil cap. No way of telling if this is the original because they did get lost and replaced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Gagel, Orange,Ct on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

I was led to believe that particular cap was used only for a few months in 1916. Found one at Hershey last year. Asking price was $85.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Wayne, I DO KNOW, but I'm having concerns about what the MTFCI judging guidelines say, and to compound matters they say the six flute oil caps are used in '16 and later, which I believe to be B.S. Why would they introduce a three flute cap in '16, and then go back to a six flute cap later? It makes no sense! Kim Dobbins, who lives nearby has a documented original '16, and it has the cap that I posted. What I'm trying to determine is WHEN they dropped the Ford script.
BTW, I have a nos 1915 Ford script oil cap with six flutes that I bought from Gail Rodda a dozen years ago, and it is raven finished, not painted.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration