Guarantee or warranty?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Guarantee or warranty?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeremy Gibson on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Its 1912 and I have been saving my money and want to buy a brand new T. I drive it home and sump plug drops out or my timer falls apart.

Did I have any sort of guarantee or warranty from the factory or dealer? Or its it hard luck, welcome to motoring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Probably hard luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 11:34 am:

I think the warranty was for 90 days. I suppose the local dealer would fix the problem but who would pay for the parts and labor ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

You never know but if it's new your dealer should help out!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

Jeremy, I don't know about 1912, but I have collected these articles and ads from 1907, 08 and 09.

1907 - according to this advertisement, one year:

1908 - one year, all models:

1909 - Ford Times, July. 90 days on parts (defective material):

I've seen other carmaker ads that varied from 60 days to one year in this time frame. I have also seen individual Ford dealers and branches that appear to have their own policies.

I think I have a 1906 Ford ad that says "perpetual guarantee" on Ford cars. However I can't find it yet. Wonder if that means our 1906 N is still covered?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

Found it. Wait till I show this to the local dealer:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 04:57 am:

LOL! I don't see a time limit or expiration date on that guarantee.25 years ago, I was driving my 1921 Ford which had up to that day been very reliable. I was heading up a mountain road, not steep, when suddenly the motor raged into a full boil. I quickly pulled into a safe and shady spot to inspect the trouble. Discovered that the water level was way down, and the leak was on the front of the block barely above the bottom of the water jacket. It was a tiny hole. An air bubble in the molten iron leaving only a thin skin of iron on the surface to not leak for 70 years. Then that thin skin of iron rusted through, the air bubble provided most of the passageway for my water to suddenly escape leading to that raging boil away.
Maybe I should have called Ford right away, and shown them that ad. They might have given me a brand new model T engine block.
After all, IT WAS a factory defect in the block casting that failed.

Actually, I let the car sit with the hood off for a full half hour. I often carry a double tubes of five minute J B Qwik in my too kit. I used a small strand of wire to work the J B Weld inside and around the tiny hole, slathered a bit more outside and patched over the hole with a small piece of brass shim stock.
We caught up to the tour at the lunch stop, and finished a wonderful day.

Thank you Rob H! More interesting reading.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeremy Gibson on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 09:06 am:

Thanks guys its been a question I have been meaning to ask for a long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 09:42 am:

Here's what the guarantee from Ford looked like during the autumn of 1925 (1926 model year)

grtee

(Originally posted by Dan Treace)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Hi Roger, It looks like the guarantee has expired on my 1926!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 10:30 am:

Mine too. I had the 90 year warranty plan. It ran out this last spring. Guess I'll quit
taking it to the dealer and learn to work on it myself !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 10:41 am:

Yeah, 90 years/900,000 miles. But how did they keep track of the miles since so many of our Ts don't have a seep omelet/odometer! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 10:43 am:

"seep omelet" should read "speedometer". Dang auto correct....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 11:21 am:

The main difference between guarantee and warranty lies in the dissimilarity of expectations in both the cases. Generally, it is believed that one can get his money back with the strength of a guarantee, if the product is defective or does not provide the assured standard. Warranty, on the other hand implies the provision of getting the article repaired if the product is defective. The most common in the recent period is the use of a limited warranty, which places conditions on the parts of an article, the quality of damage incurred and the time period of validity of the document. Naturally, the expectation in a warranty is reduced by the expression they use in the warranty document and hence the expectations are minimal. Therefore there is a vast difference in the essence and spirit of guarantee and warranty which the consumer must understand before expecting the benefit of such a document on the purchase he makes.

Read more: Difference Between Guarantee and Warranty | Difference Between | Guarantee vs Warranty http://www.differencebetween.net/business/difference-between-guarantee-and-warra nty/#ixzz4ECxqHmuf

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration