Storage Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Storage Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Is it best to store ones T with the parking lever fully forward, "neutral" or engaged?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

I don't have a starter, so I store fully forward (in high gear). The rational I have heard is that this squeezes the oil between the high speed clutches out reducing the drag. This makes starting easier and makes the car a little less likely to creep in Neutral.

I am new to Model Ts so listen to those with more experience.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

I too was told fully forward for the same reason Joe stated above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

I hadn't considered starting drag. I was thinking it would be best to keep the parking brake fully forward so as not to "load" the spring.

This forum is wonderful... so much knowledge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

You can leave the lever forward, but be sure you pull it all the way back before starting. It can be quite disappointing when the car runs over you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

When crank starting especially when cold, I would recommend parking with the lever in neutral, pulling all the way back before cranking, and also putting a chock in front of the wheel. If it won't start, try jacking up a rear wheel and put the parking brake in the neutral position. In this case also chock the front wheel.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

Leaving the lever forward also helps to prevent spring fatigue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

Thanks, Craig. That was my concern.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration