Issue with FP voltage regulator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Issue with FP voltage regulator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

Went to run my car this morning and found that the main fuse, 25 amp, had blown. Last night was a fairly long night drive with the headlights on for maybe an hour and a half. Rather than just installing (wasting) a new fuse, I set about checking for shorts first. What I found was a short between the output lug of my voltage regulator and the units body, with it disconnected from the generator. Where do I go from here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

Call John Regan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

John, should I get continuity (tone) between these two points? it doesn't seem correct. Blown diode?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

Reverse the leads and measure again. If you get a really low resistance both ways then you have done some major damage but let ME determine if it can be repaired or not since if it is beyond repair it will only cost you the postage to send it to us. Please don't attempt repair since then I can't repair it for you for our flat rate. We simply ask folks to send us the regulator along with $20. We will test it and if it tests OK you will get it back along with a refund of all but return shipping charge of $5. If it test bad but can be repaired then you will get it back repaired but we keep the whole $20 which does include return shipping to you via First Class Mail. If the unit is beyond repair then you get your whole $20 back unless you also want the blown unit back in which case again we keep only $5 and refund you $15. This offer is NOT allowed if the cover on the unit has been removed. We will still try to fix it for you but not for the flat rate. It will then be time and materials. We are not bloodthirsty and will still try to repair it for reasonable amount but we can't be sure what happened if the unit comes back to us with cover removed. It is welded on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Dave:

There is a rather large capacitor connected where you have your probes so when you say you get "tone" It might eventually charge that capacitor and then the tone might go away. If that is the case then the Vreg might be OK and it seems kinda wierd that you drove it all the way home OK and then when you go to start it you find the fuse blown. If the fuse is installed at the correct place then most likely the lights would have turned off when the fuse blew but if you continued to drive that way then I would expect your VR to have sensed the loss of battery and shut down the generator to save it. At that point you would have been walking home. Something just isn't jiving here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

I meant to include. Please contact me offline at 630-584-1471 and lets talk further to resolve what happened. Don't replace the fuse and try again unless you are sure what blew the fuse. I think you may have falsely accused the VR but maybe not. Call me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Thank you, John. The unit has worked beautifully for the past 4 years or so. I put a standard cutout onto the generator yesterday and was surprised to find that it was putting out almost 20 amps at high rpm. I adjusted the third brush and found that it had loosened and rotated toward the higher output direction. I backed it down to about 8 amps at cruise rpm on the regular cutout. I'll send it to you. Excellent product. I'll contact you.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration