Optima batter question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Optima batter question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

We`ve had some recent Forum discussions endorseing the Optima 6 volt Red Top battery. Just wondering if its possible to overcharge one, like overcharging (boiling over) a lead acid battery? I`m slowly converting all of my old lead acid batteries to Optimas but just discovered the timer on my charger is not working--really don`t want to ruin an Optima by overcharging....if that's possible. Anyone know? thanks, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

If you have a timer on your charger it is time to get a new charger ( yes there is a pun in there somewhere).
Get a full cutout electronic charger like a Battery Tender brand. They will quit charging when the battery is charged so they do not ever overcharge the battery and in a wet cell boil off the electrolite ( water).
Just plug it in and leave it alone until you unplug to drive away next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

I don't like Optima batteries because they charge the same for a six volt unit as they do for a 12 volt unit yet the 12 volt unit is twice as big, They should give you six cells and run both banks in parallel and thus give you a better battery for the same price.

I use a smart charger on my lead acid batteries and they last for years. A smart charger works at battery voltage and not at the 14 or so voltage potential so it doesn't hurt the battery plates.

Don't ever leave a battery charger hooked up to a battery when the charger is unplugged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

Are they gluten free pancakes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

NAPA has a great battery tender. Doesn't care if charging a 6 volt or 12 volt battery,....one more reason why they're called "smart chargers" I guess. Will bring a dead battery up to snuff overnight if needed, then automatically "maintain" indefinitely at 1.5 volts. I like them so well that I have several, but none right here handy to advise ref. Model Number. ( blue &white and about the size of a paperback novel) Price varies a bit but got my last one for somewhere around $30 or $35, and well worth it,....they're great! FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

I have a smart charger for Wal-Mart and I take it of of 6v and straight to 12v and it does have the battery tender type technology. Works great 26.99.I have been using it for 2 years. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Dave,
I thought the same thing!! Nope, turns out they're waffles!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 01:03 am:

I had an Optima 6V last 13 years with one of those Battery Tender chargers. Both died last year. I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 06:53 am:

Frank, I queried the Australian distributor about the price non-discrepancy, and he was told they have to take some lines out of 12 volt production to make 6 volt units, so, if you believe that, we are subsidizing their production. Have you seen any pigs flying over there lately? Or are they down south of the border.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 06:54 am:

Frank, I queried the Australian distributor about the price non-discrepancy, and he was told they have to take some lines out of 12 volt production to make 6 volt units, so, if you believe that, we are subsidizing their production. Have you seen any pigs flying over there lately? Or are they down south of the border? Some online reports suggest the quality of the product has gone south, along with production.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 07:58 am:

The Tractor Supply (Exide) batteries that I have been using in my T's and A's have only been lasting about 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 years. They used to last about 5 years or so. When one died in 06/15 I replaced it with an Optima, $120 @ Amazon, $92 for the Tractor Supply Exide one. The Optima seems to crank my Model A faster and the voltage is holding up well without trickle charging. I'll have to wait to see how long it lasts but I just replaced a 13 year old 12-volt one in my '34 V-8. I'm 82 though so it might very well outlast me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

Collectively there is more misinformation about Batteries and Battery Chargers than there is accurate information. It would be impossible to ever get the "truth" out since nobody would believe it anyway. Hitler proved if you tell a lie often enough there will be some people who will believe there is at least "some" truth in it.

If I UNFAIRLY lump all battery brands and sources together into one group I can call them BATTERY MAKERS. If I UNFAIRLY lump all battery charger brands and sources together into one group I can call them BATTERY CHARGER MAKERS. If I also UNFAIRLY lump all battery AND battery charger selling places together into one group I can call them BATTERY STOREs. I can then speak unfairly about all of them collectively as being in 3 groups.

All 3 of these groups are after your $$$ and it would not be in any of their best interests for YOU to know the ABSOLUTE TRUTH about what you are buying. You will probably get the best technical specs from the BATTERY MAKER group with regard to their battery but they don't really have any financial interest in wanting you to make it last as long as possible. BATTERY CHARGER MAKERS want you to think that battery charging is a very complex thing and only their charger really makes the battery last as long as possible. Notice how many different ideas each maker has with regard to what you should do and what voltage it presents to the battery....etc. They charge you a lot of money for their top-of-the-line charger but have a lower level charger too. Does the cheap charger hurt the battery? Their competitor says it does. The guys selling the battery AND the charger seems to me to have the least info of all but he carries a bunch of different batteries and chargers. Major retail battery store near me sells 8V batteries because "All antique vehicles used 8V Batteries..." I asked him what the difference was between ah Optima Battery and an AGM type battery and he gave me an interesting answer about what was different. FYI the Optima IS an AGM battery.

I have zero interest in trying to set the world strait and I most certainly have tried for awhile but its like Winston Churchill said which was something close to "A lie goes around the world 3 times while the truth is putting its pants on..."

I have an 11 year old Group One wet cell in my 1923 Ford. I have NEVER put a charger on it other than the vehicles own system. I have no plans of replacing it anytime soon.

I designed battery plant equipment for telephone applications and telephone company typically got 20+ year life from their batteries but not always.

Don't ask...The answers only create arguments. OK now I probably have offended everyone.

There is probably only one almost perfectly correct answer and that is that maximum battery life generally occurs by keeping batteries fully charged at all times. Now go ask one of the 3 groups how you do that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

John Regan---I like your "review" above. Back to my original question when I opened this thread : Is it possible to overcharge the optima battery? Thanks, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

Allan, I enjoyed your double post in order to get six volts up to twelve. :~)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

For almost all my battery charging requirements I use a 1 amp manual "unregulated " charger. It has 6 and 12 volt settings. In my experience if a battery is absolutely flat dead, a automatic charger won't even try to do anything. A few years ago I acquired a pair of old 6 volt Exide batteries. As stated, the automatic charger did nothing. I connected the one amp and walked away for a couple of days. I then noticed that all 3 cells were "gassing ". I topped them up with distilled water and started my car. Since then rarely do I use a different charger
Oh yes one more thing, this pair of 6 volt batteries had been frozen and thawed many times while totally dead. No apparent harm. However I NEVER try to charge or boost a frozen battery

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration