Wild cherry 2 in action

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wild cherry 2 in action
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

Here's a pic of Erik Barrett's Wild Cherry 2 "not mine as I couldn't go" leaving a mark at the F.A.S.T. hill climb at Santa Margarita CA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 01:28 am:

Thanks Bob, for the posting. We had a good day racing today. There were only two racers that had faster times. One was a historic class single seat race car running tires wider than FAST rules allow. The other was a very fast model A that we have been trying to beat. This car runs within the rules and is a big money car driven by a hired gun race driver. This car beat us by .1 second. Yes, that is one tenth of a second. Our best time was 8.868 seconds. As the photo shows, we had problems with the launch, the right tire would scorch the tread about forty feet down the track, costing us time. We set our best times with a passenger in the right side to increase traction on that tire, even with the extra weight. We set our best time late in the day as we were learning what works for us while the heat was slowing others down. Lesson learned. We are taking the car to Utah next week for a race there. Before then I am going to pull the cover off the Pinto rear end and weld up the differential gears. This car is a dragster, I need both wheels pulling without extra weight on the light side. Adding weight to a race car should not be necessary. We had a lot of people at the races pulling for us as underdogs racing a model T against the hot model A's. I will try to post a video of our best run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 02:23 am:

Sounded like a blast wish I could have gone
Have fun and be safe buddy cause that's the name of the game

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 06:58 am:

If you have to make any turns, I HIGHLY DO NOT recommend welding up the spiders. I am not sure if they make one for that rear, but there is a unit called a Powertrax that is essentially a mini Detroit locker that goes in place of the spider gears that would be much more suited to you. But really the best alternative is an Auburn style anti-slip unit because it is a cone friction style and is the smoothest.

Welding the spiders, effectively into a spool style, will want to make the rear jump around violently around turns with just about any tire except a very soft compound and low ply sidewall (think drag slick here).

A locked rear end will also work very well on a loose material race track such as dirt, but for pavement, not so much.

Glad you had a great time, and good luck next week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:03 am:

Did he say it was a drag race? If so weld em up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 09:05 am:

Richard, you are correct I missed that part. I thought I read in another post it was a hill climb race.

Yes Eric, weld them up, it'll be fine for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Yes straight line hill and drag style timed runs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 11:13 am:

A T weighs less than an A so go for it !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 11:31 am:

These races are strictly straight line events. I agree welding the differential closed is not the ideal solution, but the only time the race car turns it is going very slow. The tires will chirp and complain, but the car is light enough that it won't be a problem. I looked into it, and it seems nobody makes a locking differential for the 6.75" Ford Pinto rear end. Can't believe no one has stepped up to fill that void. Maybe all the Pintos have already burned down. In an odd parallel, check out the placement of the gas tank on the Wild Cherry II.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

Is there any video of this event? I'd like to hear the cars :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Not sure why you aren't using a "Bailey " locking differential in that T rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

Sorry. I didn't read carefully enough. I see you have a Pinto rear axle. Can't help you there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Bob on the wild cherry we are going to take a couple springs out of the rear and also weld the rear end up on the car so both wheels lock up also we are going to run a full tank of gas either Eric or I will keep upto date on what happens in Utah

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

Great chatting today Robert saw the info on Utah but feel Auburn might fit my schedual.
These events look like a hoot and hearing you talk about it clinches it
If your on Facebook search" bangers hot rods "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 12:11 am:

There is video of our best run on Facebook, but I am going to try to get it loaded onto YouTube and post a link here.
We went with the Pinto rear end because we needed something with good brakes and an open driveshaft, we happened to have it, and it is a Ford rear end. No one has given us any grief about it. A model T rear end would not last behind this engine anyway. Never had it on a dyno, but guys I talked to at the races estimate 125 HP at 5500 RPM where we are shifting. We learned a lot at this race and will make some changes before Utah. Boy, but this racing thing is expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 11:54 am:

I am waiting to see that video, how did you do ? Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

We really did well, Frank. That Gemsa motor really screams. None of the other T's could touch us, we were there to beat the hot A's and nearly pulled it off. Check out my posting just below the photo. We are working on a video link. Need to learn how to post to YouTube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 01:25 am:

Look at picture on Santa margarita Hillclimb On face book

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 03:13 am:

So here's the latest. The rear end is now locked up. Thought I would pop open the cover and weld it up. Dream on. Turns out the Pinto rear end has no holes in the diff carrier through which you can see and weld the spider gears, just like the model T! So I had to pull the axles and diff to bust it apart and weld it up. Had trouble with that as welding spring perches to the axle tubes shrunk them a bit over the axle bearings. A half hour estimate turned into about four hours. Still hoping to leave for Utah thursday morning. When we get there we will have to turn down the jets in the Stromberg 97's as it is 6000 foot elevation there and our last race was less than 1000. You can check out our race there on Facebook. Santa Margarita hill climb. Wish us luck, we are underdogs against the model A's. They know we are coming and they are scared!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

Best Luck guys wish to be joining you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 02:33 am:

Thanks Bob, come to the Auburn race in September and I will give you a ride you won't soon forget. Anyone else who has a helmet or fits our extra one is welcome to a ride too, time permitting. We have found that extra weight is good for traction. My racing partner "Sloe" Bob, the owner, and I the crew chief, envisioned and built this car together to get some respect from the vintage Ford racing community for model T's. We have their attention and will keep going after them. We have had great support from spectators at the events well as competitors, the underdog is a crowd favorite. We don't worry about the T engine being a handicap, we embrace it and that will make victory that much sweeter. Wish us luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 11:41 pm:

Slow bob has already sent me an invite I never run grudge match in my county fair jalopy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HI8O7-EtLwQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

Thanks for the link Ed. Great cars, great music and being involved with air cooled VW's since 1968, loved the tittied splittie VW single cab push truck.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration