OT - now you can hear that six sing. Bought an external mike for the GoPro

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - now you can hear that six sing. Bought an external mike for the GoPro
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

I picked up a cheap external mike based on internet suggestions. A YouTube video advised using a 2.2 ohm microphone:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdxics2yetlv7s1/Video%20Jul%2009%2C%2011%2057%2006%20AM.mp4?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

Excellent! If there's a combination of camera and external mike that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, can we have details on makes and models?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 11:08 pm:

Steve,
The most expensive part was the interface (connector) between gopro camera and mic cable. I'll put pics up later. The mic was $10, but online there are 2.2 ohm mics for less.

If anyone has an iPhone 6+ they don't need the action cam (GoPro), the 6+ has stabilizer built in. A Verizon tech told me the smaller iPhone 7 may have the stabalizer when they come out, maybe in the fall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 11:32 pm:

That has to be the best video you have done so far. Now if you can just figure out a way to get the correct vibration in my chair.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 12:00 am:

That's easy, Attach the speakers to the legs of your chair.... Turn them up real loud! Let us know how that works!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 02:24 am:

WOW! I love it! I could listen to that for hours! That sure didn't take you long Rob. You just commented yesterday about a remote mic! And you talk like eventually, you might even improve upon this video you just made! Can't wait,...... boy,.....that big "6" sure "picks 'em off" nice! I have to agree with Dave H,.....that's your best video yet!

I was just thinking,.....next time you're cruising around the OCF at Greenfield Village, that "set-up" you just used would sure sound good,.....thanx so much for this last post,........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 04:38 am:

Wow, what a ride, what a machine, and that SOUND!
At the halfway point, when you turned around? I was curious why you didn't run the lollipop? (up the stick, hard right followed by a hard left around the lollipop followed by another hard right and back down the stick)
If you have enough room, it can be done without slowing down much. I did that a "few" times with my speedsters.

I also finally got a good look at the video frame phenomenon of spinning spoke wheels and frame timing. It is an optical illusion, but fun to watch the shadows of the front wheel. This was the first time I got a really good look at it since digital video formats became popular.
It looks like you are really getting these recording sessions worked out well.
Thank you!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 07:38 am:

Thanks guys. :-). There's something about the sound of a six. The K has a somewhat unusual firing order, 1-2-3-6-5-4 (although it was the second most often used in 1907).

The same video, with my impeccable music choices added. This time period correct Stephen Foster music:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lt3yckychiqfwls/Video%20Jul%2009%2C%2010%2002%2032%20P M.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 09:18 am:

Rob; Let me know if you drive the K here
https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Stephen-Foster :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 09:33 am:

G.R.,
Looks like a great tour destination or hub. I like the location. Someday we hope to retire somewhere warmer, at least during the winters, and northern Florida, up to Virginia are locations we've entertained.

These are the external mic components used. The mic was about $10. I'm not sure what the GoPro connector cost, because I bought several things at Best Buy along with it. As I recall, it was more than I thought it should be:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 09:44 am:

Rob - I've watched & listened to both of the videos several times since yesterday, and I have to say, I think they are both FANTASTIC! I guess I've been pretty vocal about the fact that I love the sound of a good running engine, and that "big 6" of the "K" has a sweet sound for sure, especially when she's pulling hard at low speed!

Now then, please take what I'm going to "expound upon" (hopefully) in a polite and tasteful manner, and frankly, it might be that I should just shut up and reflect upon the fact that my wife is probably right when she says that I am,....."just a grumpy 75 year old fart"! But for what it's worth, I'll try to just explain this once, and, never again,.....I promise:

First of all, you certainly have picked very tasteful and period correct music. But I guess I just don't understand why it is that the present trend nowadays is to always, ALWAYS accompany any type video or even TV commercials with music. And opposed to your tasteful choice in music Rob, on TV, to me, it is usually just obnoxious noise. I don't care if they're trying to sell toothpaste, tampons or Toyotas (and automobile commercials seem to be the worst) the announcer doing the commercial has to practically scream over the sound of some idiots banging on some horrible combination of drums, symbols, guitars, synthisizer (sp?) and who knows what else! I guess it must be that most people are just bored with listening to anything unless it's accompanied by some sort of screetchy noise, which may or may not be classified as music!

Again Rob, your second video with the music is very tasteful and well done, and still allows the exhaust sound of that beautiful six cylinder engine to come thru' just fine. However, my own personal taste is the first one without the music. And don't get me wrong, I love all (well, most) kinds of good music, but just separate from when I'm enjoying the thrilling sound of an internal combustion engine or for that matter, even a steam locomotive.

Frankly, I would think there would only be two main groups of people,....one group that would like to just hear the sweet sounds of engines/machinery, and one group that would just like to enjoy music without some noisy old engine ruining the music. But,....I guess nowadays, there must be those that really do like to hear both together,.....and one grumpy old fart that just doesn't get it! Ha,ha,....end of rant,....sorry,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 10:00 am:

Great video! I like the position of the camera because were riding beside you and not just staring at the radiator cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 10:14 am:

Harold,
The way I (ineptly) make these videos is to transfer from the GoPro camera to my iPad. This doesn't take too long (getting better at it). Next, upload to an iPad/iPhone application called "Splice." This takes quite a while, depending on the length (time) of the video.

After this, I add titles, or photos to the "film." Usually at that time I download to my iPad, so the first "film" has no music. Then I add music to the project still in Splice, and download that to my iPad too.

From there, upload one or both versions to "Dropbox," which is the link you see the video on. This again takes quite a bit of time, due to our slow internet.

I have mixed emotions regarding background music. Sometimes I think it detracts. However, where my videos are usually just myself and a car, I think music helps add a dimension and keeps the video from becoming "boring."

I'm learning as I go. I've finally learned how to change to volume of the soundtrack to give it more, or less relevance.

This is a recent project. I built it from four still photos our neighbor emailed us after we popped in on them with the car. Without the music, I think the video would be too long, and not very interesting. With the music, I think it sets a tone and gives the viewer (me anyway) a sense of nostalgia and creates the mood.

Let me know what you think...... :-)

Rob "John Ford wannabe"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/74866ft93ad7y3r/Good%20Old%20Summertime.mov?dl=0

(Message edited by Rob on July 10, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 11:01 am:

OK, my remaining question is: What model GoPro do you use?

Some "John Ford" music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgVCXUR8QuQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 11:13 am:

Absolutely spellbinding, Rob. I must admit that after viewing the first generation video, I longed to actually hear the song of the Big 6. So the second generation with engine sound only was wonderful. But the final version, with mixed Stephen Foster and Big 6 was just enough to sooth the savage beast.

Having said all that, I'd still like to hear the (pure) sound of the K starting from a dead stop in high gear.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 11:28 am:

The lower impedance microphone is way less sensitive to picking radiated interference from ignition and any other magnetic or RF generated noises. That makes them a wise choice. Tom Edison changed the microphone in the telephone to Carbon and it was a low resistance element too. It made the signal out of it so loud and clear that the phone worked with only sound power and NO amplification when he improved the phone for Mr. Bell and changed it from a parlor demonstration toy to a real communication device. Interesting that the carbon microphone is still the most powerful microphone of all the various types although fidelity is not as good as modern types. Many people made intercoms from house to garage using a 9V battery in series between 2 old phones. No amplifiers needed.

I have to agree I like the first video with its raw sound of the car and its like riding along. Rob you would be amazed at how many people come info the hobby because of a video. Give the MTFCA or any other club link a spot on there so that those who are interested have a place to go and follow up on their "old car" interest. Often people don't act on a moment of interest and they might in fact do it if it is something easy to find. Many of us got into the hobby that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Rob - You said,...."Let me know what your think....."

I think that to some degree, you're changing my mind a little bit! That's the best one yet Rob! Great music and the "blend" volume-wise is perfect! I can still hear the exhaust just fine, which I especially enjoy as the ol' girl is chugging up your slightly uphill driveway. And she never misses a beat,.....beautiful! That beautiful running big ol' "6" sounds so good that it would NEVER "bore" me, but the music doesn't really detract at all,.....you sure ARE getting better at these videos, and with that perfect "blend" that you've perfected, there's really something there for everybody. Only thing you need now is one of our Cascade Mountain roads to make 'er constantly work a little harder for at least a couple miles and keep that sweet exhaust "singing"! Guess the Nebraska topography (or, the lack of it....) isn't really your fault Rob! (;^) Love it,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

Oh, and by the way, I am now REALLY convinced that next time you bring the "K" to the OCF, you really need to set her up with that same "audio/visual" rig because as Dick Fischer said, she sounds so good at low speed. You know,....so's ya' can almost count 'em! (:^)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration