Must be a Reason

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Must be a Reason
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 01:09 am:

As I do my daily browse on eBay for T parts I occasionally open up listings of model T related pieces that are way over priced compared to completed listings or the exact same piece listed in the same section.

I have to satisfy my curiosity of who is selling and how they describe such treasures to justify the starting prince or buy it now. They are usually listed by the same few sellers. They clutter up the fluid market place by constantly resisting the same pieces over and over again. There must be a reason. Maybe they are trolling and hoping some dumb fish will bite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:30 am:

Or maybe they were that dumb fish and now they're hoping to get their money back. I've been to a lot of swap meets and tried haggling with guys only for them to come back with "I've got more than that in it." That's when I realize that I'm not going to win. They paid more than an item is worth, at the very least more than it's worth to me. I just wish them luck and walk away at that point. Sometimes the same guy shows up at the next swap meet with the same item for the same price. I think it's a similar thing with eBay. Either they overpaid or they simply think their whatever is worth the price they put on it, and they keep trying to sell it for that price for a long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:44 am:

It's odd but going to flea markets around here you see the same folks with the same stuff. It's almost like their unwilling to sell or even come down a buck on the price of an item seemingly just to keep it. There's no arguing with them and remarks don't accomplish a thing. I've told here the story of the $50.00 a piece Ford coils. Was told "I was offered that for them". Yeah, right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:48 am:

It is not just parts sometimes it is whole cars and it is not just T-bay this is an example from Craigs list in Sarasota Fl. it has been listed off and on for about 3 years now that I know of. The guy has good Documentation but if it were me and I really wanted to sell it I would consider lowering the price
http://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/5638545130.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:49 am:

I always think they paid to much for the item when they got it or as posted above think someone will not know any better and just pay up for the item. I still occasionally find a good deal on something on eBay. But a good deal is in the eyes of the buyer... Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:51 am:

Chickasha has some parts who have more than achieved "life membership"Only difference,they are junk,rusty and have always been overpriced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 10:16 am:

Not Model T, but I made what I considered a fair offer on a set of items at a swap meet once. I knew my offer had really offended the seller when he told me "I GOT gas money".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 12:14 am:

Since I last posted ... a common timing cover worth about $20 with an asking price of $99 .. and has been on eBay for a year .. went down to $49. Maybe he read my post. :-)

Now how about that rare coup body with the encyclopedic text and the buy it now for $25,000 ....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration