Roadster chassis rolls!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Roadster chassis rolls!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 07:33 am:

This week I fitted the Hayes wire wheels to the frame and then the tyres and rims. It now rolls and I can move it around to do other work. The body is at the trimmers having the top made and fitted. The block is away having the bearings poured and line bored. I am left with doing all sorts of little jobs to keep the progress going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:11 am:

Really nice...love those spring shocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:43 am:

Looks really good. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 02:02 am:

John, those are Richards Wilcox brand from London. Duncan and Fraser fitted them to many of the cars they sold, both coachbuilt specials and standard cars. Up-selling accessories is nothing new. These really do work well, but many are badly worn because the shackles run directly in the castings and lack of lubrication chews them out. I rebuilt mine with bronze bushings throughout.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 04:54 am:

Those shocks seem to lift the chassis way up out of proportion to standard height ??.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 08:48 am:

Is there a frontal photo that shows how the springs connect to the frame/pan?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 09:24 am:

The back end of your chassis is way to high. I'd get rid of those shocks, or whatever they are. You don't need them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 09:39 am:

I like th shocks. I've got a full set of accessory shocks of a similar design on my '14 Touring. They're clearly visible in a a photo of the car, taken with its original owner as it was removed from barn storage back in the early 50s. That's original enough for me.

As for ride height, they do make the bare chassis ride high, but the car settles right down to stock height with the body and engine installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Reed on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Allan Bennett you are a craftsman and a man of his word! Just received the Hayes wheels and they are beautiful. Thanks for your effort. Cheers Larry Reed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

Eric has it right. The chassis sits down nicely once loaded with the body and powerplant.
Larry, I understand where you are coming from. However, these shockers/ride easers are original fitments to Duncan and Fraser special roadsters. Apart from being a real pain to rebuild, they do make a significant difference to the ride of the vehicle.

Other accessories in the package are kick plates on the splash panels, an Ac-U-Ret dipstick, nickel plated radiator shell and headlight rims and an extra air device on the inlet manifold. I have kept all, but the extra air device will not be operational.

Larry Reed, thank you for the compliment. I try to deliver the best I can. The fellow who owned them is pleased to see them go to a good home.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

John, I missed your enquiry about how the front shocks are mounted at the centre. The low radiator cars have a pair of plates clamped between the front pan mounting and the frame. These plates have a hole on each side of the cross member through which hooks on the ends of the coil springs pass. The front springs are the same length as the rears.

On high radiator cars with the apron covering the front frame cross member, things are necessarily a little different. There are two plates sandwiched between the cross member and the pan mount as before, but instead the end of the plate is rolled around a 5/16" wire which is bent down each side for a couple of inches and it has a loop in each end to take the hooks on the end of the springs. The springs are shorter and of a slightly larger diameter to compensate.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Victor Bloxsome on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

Allan , I hope you used the correct brand of inners in those covers !
I bought this tube in 1973 from the Olympic factory in Geebung , the next suburb to my home in Brisbane ,for my then Mystery Overland . It blew the Brand X tyre (TIRE) off the rim and stayed inflated . Good gear , sadly gone . I still have a set of N O S Olympic covers for my 1919 Peel Bros roadster .

Victor Bloxsome .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 11:44 am:

Allan, I would put it in the living room as it is without the body ;~)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 12:30 am:

Frank, I ran your suggestion past the Board of Control and was told it would be uncomfortable to sleep on!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 01:35 am:

Gee Allen, a piece of plywood, some "memory foam" and ya might do quite well!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

I had a set of those spring shocks on a TT, same exact design but larger to accommodate the TT rear axle. Nice work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

Allan,
Forgive me for piggybacking on your thread but it gives good testimonial to the use of spring shocks. I am selling a similar version except it is a single arm version which make the front spring upper anchor more easy. See classified thread.
Thanks.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/658094.html?1468321903

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration