OT - Need Help - T vacation idea location

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Need Help - T vacation idea location
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 10:43 am:

When I was a kid, my parents took me and I took my kids later to a place in woods/mountains that was a magical place. A wooden shack where we sat on a chair balanced on one leg, where water ran up hill, where the walls stood at one angle but the floor was an other angle. I'm planning a trip for a grandson and I driving the T. I believe there are two of these places but can't remember where.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 10:50 am:

I would suggest that you join one of the overnight or week tours with the club. You will have friends, interesting sights, and help in case you need it. Remember that when you were young the Ford dealer could fix a Model T. Today, you need to at least take a roster of the members in the area where you tour if you go solo. If you are looking for mountains, you will need to go a long way from Kansas. There are some woods and rivers around the area, and if there are any near Topeka, you could go solo. Take along a cell phone, just in case.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 10:58 am:

Tyrone,
Maybe this is the place you are thinking of:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11605

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 11:24 am:

Tyrone,

Casa Magnetica matches your description exactly. It has been copied by many other resorts, and it was a copy of earlier attractions:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=six+flags+over+texas+casa+magnetica+&view=d etail&mid=04DD7B70060A90C7D1E104DD7B70060A90C7D1E1&FORM=VIRE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

T ~

I am reading your "magical" description less literally, and more in terms of the childhood perspective
of what was so "magical" about going on vacation before things like power bills and mortgage payments
were part of our worldly understanding. If I am wrong, then please disregard ....

I chose to live where I do after having one of those "frying-pan-to-the-head" epiphanies that no one
was holding a gun to my head, forcing me to live in hell (pronounced "Western Washington). While the
600 days of rain a year remained a constant, the traffic and sprawl and destruction of much of the cool
and old redeeming factors of the area pushed me over the edge to hate the place. The balanced tipped
hard toward all those things that make doing what I enjoy unpleasant. It took a handful of serious wrecks
involving the multitudes of Seattle School of Stunt Driving students to bring the matter to a head, and I
began to seriously consider leaving everything I knew and going some place else.

And what better place to go than some place "magical" ?

My family had vacationed over in the sparsely populated east side of the state since I was about 5 years
old, and I had many memories of all that magical stuff from being over here, from camp fires and fishing,
to the smells of pine and sage and that euphoric scent of the forest in the morning. And let's not forget
that intangible magical sense of freedom when you have no place to be and all the time in the world to
just soak it all in.

And so plans were made to lighten my load and move. Been here 20 years now. One of the best decisions
I ever made. Almost any day I can take the time to immerse myself in the mental space of what I am surrounded
by, it is like vacation just to get up in the morning, smell the air, feel the freedom, and enjoy the magic. Just
driving to work can be a wonderful getaway.

Kansas has its own charms. Its desolate, wide open space. It is quiet and peaceful and to the open ear,
mind, and heart, the smells on the breeze, the call of the grasses and wildflowers, the songs of the birds
are all a magic unto their own. If that getaway to the mountains is an important part of your vision, I could
not recommend western Montana, or eastern Oregon/central Idaho enough for its magical charm. Montana
got 90% of the U.S. supply of "Big Sky" and will never fail to strike awe in those open to such magic.

Camping and vacationing ain't what it used to be with our burgeoning population booking formal sites
to capacity and the wildfire threat putting restrictions on free camping as your find it in the wild. But the
open road and side canyon adventures still call, and this corner of the world holds such possibilities at
every turn.

If any of this interests you, I would be happy to give you more specifics.

As a chaser of such "magic" in all things in my life, I am happy to pass on anything I can to share this
with others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

Burger - I for one, hear ya', and I have to agree to some degree, but I have to say, I think you're just a bit prone to exaggeration about Western Washington. Yeah, there's way too many people around the Seattle/Tacoma area for me too, and the traffic problem is really bad (and getting worse) and the rain, well, let's just say that Perry Como was a bit prone to exaggeration in the other direction about "the bluest skies" and all, HOWEVER,.....

I grew up in, and spent my first 30 years in Chicago, and I can tell you that Western Washington is "WAY BETTER" than that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

-Burger/Harold-
Have been out there, and I can appreciate your describing the "Seattle School of Stunt Driving". We all have our own 'magical places', just hard to imagine anyone with having the leisurely pace and methodical sounds of a Model T wouldn't enjoy being wherever they are... "God's Country" is where we find it.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

Tyrone, The Rocky Mountain T Club is planning a run this September in the Salmon, Stanley Idaho area. It will be a mix of pavement and dirt roads along the rivers and creeks of Idaho for several days. It would be a great experience for a kid. PK

This Picture is from our June tour at Red Lodge, MT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

I don't know where there would be a place like Bob and Royce describe, near Kansas but there is or was one near Grants Pass Oregon and another one near Santa Cruz Ca. I think there is one in Knotts Berry farm in Anaheim. It is built on optical illusions. It is made to look magical, and magnetic, but it just looks that way.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

Sounds like a great trip you have planned. Anywhere you go in a old car is a good time to me. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

Thank you all but especially Rob. YES I believe this is the place. I was thinking we did this on a vacation we went to Yellowstone, the Badlands and up that way. Thank you much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Tyrone,

Thanks for bringing up the question. I too have a similar memory of that place as a child but had no idea where it was. We lived in western Nebraska and never went far from the ranch so the place Rob mentioned has to be it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 10:48 pm:

Cosmos in the Black Hills of South Dakota fits your description. I visited 55 years ago and still remember it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 11:04 pm:

Mystery Spot in Michigan's Upper Peninsula is another. http://www.mysteryspotstignace.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 03:18 am:

I also remember 2 places with all those things as a kid. Knott' s Berry Farm in CA (although I think the mining/haunted building is now gone) and a place near Santa Cruz or Benicia in Northern CA that my great grandma used to take us.

But it looks like a couple of current places have been suggested with those things.
Here's part of the trip we're planning for next year. You're welcome to it...

I might suggest the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway - 500 miles through the Appalachian mountains. You can also visit the Gatlinburg National Park and Dollywood in Pigeon Forge. Driving through Gatlinburg NP in a Model T has got to be a VERY SPECIAL drive !! My mom & I drove it in my Honda S-2000 it was great. Pop into Nashville on the way home. Maybe catch a show at the Grand Ole Opry and stay a night or just spend the afternoon at the Opryland Hotel (it's got Amazing indoor atrium & gardens). Finally hit some Mark Twain stuff in Missouri on the way home. If you're gonna visit Mr. Twain it really should be in a T.

https://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm
http://blueridgeheritagetrail.com/interactive-map/?gclid=CMi_wYHo6s0CFZA2gQodTOU EgQ
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-photos/bnago-gaylord-opryland-resort-and-co nvention-center/
https://www.nps.gov/grsm/index.htm
http://www.dollywood.com
https://mostateparks.com/park/mark-twain-state-park

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration