Driving a TT with a Ruckstell

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Driving a TT with a Ruckstell
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

Now that I have been driving my TT for a few weeks now, I have a question and would like to hear other opinions and experiences. My TT has a high speed gear and a Ruckstell. There is no auxiliary transmission.

My experience so far is that it is much easier to start out and shift smoothly into high gear when in Ruckstell. When shifting from low to high in Ford, I can't keep enough speed up to prevent the engine from lugging when shifting to high.

Here's the question: Is it okay to shift into Ruckstell every time I come to a stop and shift back to Ford high after my speed is up higher? Will I do damage to the Ruckstell by shifting it so much?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

I shift mine low-low, high Ruckstell-low Ford, low Ruckstell- high Ford, high-high

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

I have low gears Ruckstell. I regularly use the Ruckstell low on the single long, steep drag I
have to negotiate when coming home from the Tuesday night Ranch meetings. If I leave it in
Ruckstell high, I am bogged down and forced into Ford low about halfway up the hill. It is a
fairly high traffic road, and the top part is sharp, blind corner, making me concerned about
being rearended. So, I often choose to drop it into Ruckstell low as my RPM's drop against
the drag and ride it to the top, before shifting back to Ruckstell high, ot make the second part
of the hill, which the truck can handle in high gear to the top.

Other than that, it is a rare occasion I use Ruckstell low at all. I never use it for starting or
any type of flatland driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

I use my Ruckstell on steep hills up or down. On the flat I run in direct including starting out. I have high speed gears in the diff also. When loaded you can split them. Note, shift into Ruckstell low before starting down a steep hill. On shifting into high you do use the motors low end. You don't wind these motors out much. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 12:19 am:

Justin, it's perfectly OK to use the Ruckstell from every stop. In fact, much easier on your engine and transmission, especially with high speed gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 03:11 am:

Whether it is a Ruckstell, Warford, Muncie, or the Rocky Mountain six speed in my coupe. I shift them often, up, down, and sideways :-) . The funny thing is, when I have a an almost factory model T? With only the model T two speed planetary? I am perfectly content with just those two speeds almost everywhere I drive them.
With the setup you mention, I would probably downshift the Ruckstell as I pulled up to my stop. Then start out in Ford low Ruckstell (low) because it is the easiest to start rolling with. Quickly shift up into Ford high/Ruckstell low, then shift up again into high/high. Unless I was heavily loaded, or on a hill requiring it, I would skip the Ford low/Ruckstell high as simply unnecessary. NOTE: some people prefer to "simplify" the language by NOT specifying "Ruckstell" high as the "Ruckstell" gear automatically implies Ruckstell "low". That is correct per some original literature and articles, but can be confusing to people not personally acquainted with that original literature.
According to some original literature (and old trucker's parlance), multiple transmissions can be simply stated in order from engine back. Therefore, a model T (or TT) with a Ruckstell can be stated simply as "low/Ruckstell", followed by "low/high", followed by "high/Ruckstell", then finally "high/high". But, not everybody knows how to follow that sequence.
Shifting one transmission up at the same time as you are shifting another one in the sequence down is called "splitting a shift". Again, on hills, or with a heavy load, it may be very advantages to select the most optimal combination, thereby splitting a shift. However, under most light conditions, it is often easier to skip some gears.
My coupe can get really interesting (and confusing). With the Ford planetary two speeds, The so-called Rocky Mountain Six Speed (which is actually three speeds itself, being an Under, a Direct, and an Over), plus a Ruckstell (two more), I have twelve forward gear combinations to choose from. All the way from "stump pullers" to "flying down the highway".

There. Have I sufficiently confused you (or everyone) yet?
As Erik B said. Perfectly okay to use the Ruckstell from every stop. The rest of what he said is true also.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 09:52 am:

I have high speed rear gears and a Muncie. I hardly ever use low/low except for on to the trailer and very steep hills. I use Muncie reverse and Ford low pedal for off the trailer.

I use Muncie 2nd (2nd is Model T direct gearing), Ford low and Ruckstell low for takeoff from a stop. Low/low for y'all.

Then Ford high on the left pedal.

Once up to speed then Ruckstell high.

At about 33 then Muncie 3rd or overdrive and then hold on tight and listen to that Muncie scream! Damn, forgot to put oil in that leaky Muncie! Gotta remember 600W next time! Big Bendix brakes for stopping. Damn, forgot to tighten those Bendix brakes! Gotta remember next time! Hope there is a next time.

Okay slow down and enjoy the view. Shift outta Muncie high to Muncie 2nd and back to 33mph. No more Muncie screaming. Life is good. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Thanks for all of the input.

Now it all makes sense Anthony!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHzncz3gbUg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

THe Ruckstell was only intended for climbing hills. The Ford low is plenty low to start the truck moving. The more you use the Ruckstell gears the quicker it will wear out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

My other TT video is better.

I had to delete the best TT video because I used wrong music.

My TT came out of a Farmington barn in southwestern PA if you are near there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

Farmington is about 90 miles away from the barn in Mars, PA where mine came out of. Maybe they were in the same shipment from the factory.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration