English 1923 Parts Manual Anyone?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: English 1923 Parts Manual Anyone?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

Has anyone got an English Parts manual from the UK please that I could buy, copy or borrow? I am wanting to ensure all the correct castings for my build or near enough anyway. I am in the UK.
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

I’m 90% sure that the Model T Ford Register of Great Britain would have a copy of most of the English Price List of Parts. Their historian has been very helpful to me on several occasions. You can reach them via their contact page at: http://www.modeltregister.co.uk/contact.html

The Automotive Research Library of the Horseless Carriage Foundation – web site: http://www.hcfi.org/ might also have a copy they could sell to you and/or copy for you. Yes, they can provide digital copies of most items that they have.

Note, having a 1923 English Price List of Parts manual may or may not be as helpful as you hope. In the USA, Ford put out the following Price List of Parts that I know of – all of which would cover some of the 1923 Model Year Parts:

Price List of Parts - Model T (Oct 1922)

Price List of Parts - Model T (Dec 1922)

Wholesale Price List of Parts - Model T (Dec 1922)

Price List of Parts - Model T (Apr 1923)

Wholesale Price List of Parts - Model T (Aug 1923)

Price List of Body Parts - Model T (Sep 1923)

Price List of Parts - Model T (Nov 1923)

If a USA 1923 Model year car was manufactured in Aug 1922 the parts would not necessarily be the same as those listed in the Apr 1923 Price List of Parts. I would assume but I do not have documentation to support that Ford UK also did running changes during the model years.

Ford worked very hard to make the parts interchangeable. For example a 1917 model year engine & transmission will drop right into a 1923 model year without any modifications. (Ok – assumes you are going without a starter & generator – the 1917 USA engine/transmission does not have a provision for that.) The price list of parts would often only list the current item. The customer wanted a new block – not necessarily a 1917 or 1923 etc. But now days some folks want the parts to line up better with how the car was likely to have been produced while others just want to have it work. Not a right or wrong – just an observation.

Your comment “I am wanting to ensure all the correct castings for my build or near enough anyway. I am in the UK.” Would lead me to think you want it more correct for when it came off the assembly line. And for that the Model T Ford Register of Great Britain along with their excellent book, “The English Model T Ford Book” would probably be more accurate than the price list of parts. And of course many Model Ts wind up with parts from various years and even other countries. Are you certain that your car is an English manufactured Model T?

If you are going for “close enough” for it work – then the USA Price List of Parts see: Price List of Parts - Model T (Apr 1923) at: http://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/1923/1923plapr.pdf would probably be “close enough” for most items. And of course in England the first recorded sale of a high radiator car was 23 Nov 1923 which would have been considered a 1924 model year car in the USA. (Ref page 231 “English Ford Book Vol 1”).

I would encourage you to join the Model T Ford Register of Great Britain. Not only can they provide you a wealth of information, they also have a “spares” department see: http://www.modeltregister.co.uk/club-spares/spares.html .

Good luck with your T.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

Before I start I am building a T not already have one so sorry I should have been a little clearer with my intentions.
Yes thank you. I fully understand the time from manufacture to time of selling but we did not have that many hanging around over here in the UK but I do get the point and agree with you.
I have the English model t books and it is that, that has sparked me to want to make a 23 as accurate as possible as things changed just before and just after as you mention with the rad etc.
My want for the 23 manual or as you point out I may have to go for a 24? book is because it should have for instance a 19-21 or 21-23 or 24-27 (short for the years) next to the part which I can then use to help. It does in my Fordson F books anyway.

I am a member of the GB Register as of last week so I will certainly speak to someone.

I only ask for an English book as I have been made aware that they were quicker to release things then us over the pond so to be accurate (as possible) for the UK it may be best I source an English book. Bed time now but I will certainly have another look at the links in the morning and the info is extremely helpful thank you.
I am building a right hand, 1923 van with low rad but also need to get the small things like if it had the mud guard lights etc right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Sorry American T's were released quicker along with updates then the UK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 07:46 am:

Pages 230-231 of the English Ford Book will give you a lot of the information you desire. For example since you are building a RHD T, you would want an engine and other parts that were used from Jan 12, 1923 when the UK went back to RHD.

On page 138 it shows that the short stalk mud guard light was used from 1922-23 and another version from 1924-1927 -- with photos. Note, I believe that a Van or car that was not equipped with the electrical starter would have used some form of kerosene side lamps. See page 143 where they show a July 1922 restored Van that has the 1916-1920's kerosene side lamps and does NOT have the mud guard lights.

Good luck with your build.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration