Am selling my steamboat on eBay due to ill health O T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Am selling my steamboat on eBay due to ill health O T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 02:36 pm:

It you want to buy a steam powered yacht now is the time to bid. This is not an advertisement, I am just mentioning it to see if there is any interest in steam amongst this group. If this is inappropriate please remove this notice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

Not inappropriate to me, since you're "one of the bunch". But how about a link to the eBay site to make it more accesible?

Sorry to hear you have to sell it. Wish I could get it. I love steam powered stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/fhmhlb-8/m.html?item=262514711593&forcerrptr=true&hash=item3d1f189c29%3Ag%3A5K

Cut and paste in your address bar and it will come up. Thanks for not being offended, Frank

Tinkerbelle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

Oh boy, if I was closer........

Beautiful boat Frank!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Frank
If I bought it, would you store it till winter? No way can I get down there before

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 07:18 pm:

Love it! I bet if you posted a video of it in operation on the water, the steady chugga chugga sound of the steam engine would sell it for you. Very unique. Very beautiful woodwork and old world craftsmanship. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

Not inappropriate in the least, Frank. I'm sure many on this site, myself included, would love to add that baby to our stable. Very impressive! BTW, where was that photo taken?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon-Pierre Smith on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Have you tried Northwest Steam Society?

Northweststeamsociety.org.

Good folks, maybe a bit far away.

Simon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

Quite a few steam fans here. Is 1939 the year of the engine?
What kind of boiler is in it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

Frank. Not inappropriate at all in my opinion. Would love to have it. very very nice. Good luck with the sale. Thanks for letting us see it again ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 04:17 am:

David Dewey, it is a 50 square foot water tube boiler with 40 hours on it,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 08:06 am:

I wonder if freighter Jim is ready to haul THIS?
I wish I had time and space for another hobby/toy looks like fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 10:23 am:

Yes Les I can store it until winter. Frank

engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

If it were a VFT Boiler and closer......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

Frank, you are always good at posting here. You could post any kind of debauchery here and still come out as clean as Hillary ! LOL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 06:47 pm:

Frank,
I thought so, from the shell shape--is it a Don Mentzer boiler? (I may be misspelling Don's last name, been to long since I wrote it!) Is that a York cylinder casting on the engine? I really like the folding seat, not having a back on a seat nowadays is a real downer for me! Are you running at around 150WSP? Do you have a keel condenser and a hot well?
I know, too many questions!
Any chance you'll take it up to the B&W meet, if you still have it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

David you ask good questions. It has a two gallon hot well and a four or five gallon supply tank. An under water condenser and three water supply pumps. One is engine driven, one is a foot pump and the other one is a hand pump.

I believe you spelled it correctly.

I was told it was a rebuilt 1910 engine, was I incorrectly informed ?

The seat is also double hinged so you can fold it into the side of the boat and walk around.

The fifty square foot waster tube boiler runs at only 65 pounds of pressure at the lake which is at 6800 feet. The propane burns a yellow and partially blue flame up there and thus only 65 pounds. The boiler is rated at 120 and we have a 120 and 125 pop-off valve. We have played with the air mixture and have it at its best. We do five miles an hour so that ain't too shabby for a two horsepower engine. We do hull speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

HI Frank
Thanks, I guess it shows that I've been around steam launches. :-)
So, it is a Don Mentzer boiler? He builds great boilers. Wow only 65 lbs and you do hull speed, that's great. Wondered where the lake was, it looks a lot like Clearlake up here, except you have much fancier boat facilities and waterfront homes.
It could be 1910 engine, can't tell from the pics. that's quite a hydrostatic lubricator and holding bracket you have on top! I'm guessing about a 3" x 3-1/2" engine?
I'm drooling on my keyboard, BTW! Linda says, "When would have time to go steamboating?" Well, gee I dunno, but there's lakes around here--when they have water in them! There's a little one about 1/2 mile away, but I don't know if there's a ramp, or if "powerboats" are even allowed on it.
Now that I look at the pic above, I think I can see the hotwell on the opposite side of the boiler casing, and I can see the handle for the hand pump. I like the way it's laid out, and it looks like a very comfortable boat.
OK, now really crazy, would my little Toyota Tacoma 1/2 ton pickup be able to tow it safely?? I know if I get another steamboat, it has to be a light one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

David, I think the trailer and boat weigh about 1800 pounds all together. A four cylinder engine could pull it. I take the seats out and the brass lamps and the awning off. A clamping device holds the boat on the trailer and the bow is held on by the loading winch.

Our son tows it with his Dodge Dakota pic-up which is basically a Durango without the back seats. It tows well at 55 or more and has a spare wheel and three new tires with only 200 miles on them. We get lots of looks and horn honking.

Here is a closer look at the engine.

Yes it has the mandatory paddle

Note the wooden hand throttle on the insulated steam pipe.

Tinkerbelle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

Frank, that's no paddle, that's an emergency back-up navigation device!
That's a rugged-looking engine! I see the cylinder drain cock valves are piped into the bilge; one way to keep the floor boards clean! :-)
I take it the vertical piece on the other side of the engine is the feedwater pre-heater? and then the exhaust is going down to the condenser. Do you have a vacuum pump too? If so, how much vacuum do you usually pull? That would certainly help you get more power out of 65lbs WSP.
It certainly sounds like it would be towable. Oh my, and you have finished much as I would (given time and funding) which is the highest compliment I can give, as I'm finicky!!
Drool Drool Drool; But I'm on a Model T budget looking at a Pierce Arrow you have here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

Just thought I'd let everyone know that Fast Frank's boat, Tinkerbelle, found a new home. Unfortunately it's not MY home. Congrats on your success, Frank.
It is said a boat owner has two great days owning a boat, the day of purchase, and the day of sale.
Sadly, that is not always true though! I miss the Mikahalla still--maybe time has erased the bad times?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration