Hogshead removal - need HELP

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hogshead removal - need HELP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Per my earlier thread I had to remove the hogshead to remove a nut and washer that ended up in the transmission. I can tell you that removing the hogshead is not for the timid. Now that I have the debris out I am unable to get the hogshead back on. It won't slide far enough forward to set in.I have the bolts removed from the 4th main cap but am unable to slide it forward enough to clear. I have not removed the exhaust manifold, will that help? I am lost as to what to do. I have been fighting this problem all day. Any and all help appreciated. Harv.hoghoghoghog

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 03:37 pm:

You will need to force the rearend back about one inch, otherwise you will damage the gasket. I use a hydraulic ram for this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

Well, it should clear without having to remove the exhaust manifold but if it doesn't, support the transmission cover with your right hand and ensure that bronze 'C' clutch thingy enters onto the transmission shaft with your left hand. In the event it still doesn't fit onto the crankcase, maintain the fasteners on the intake manifold and remove the exhaust .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

Your cover looks like a 26-27 and on these you must lower the rear of the cover first then it should fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Lower the back end near the UJ and then lift the front, then it usually just clears the exhaust pipe. I can only remember having to remove the exhaust pipe once and I may not have followed my own rules, but no big deal.
Getting it back on with a good seal is even more fun.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

Harvey, try pulling the diff assembly back using a ratchet strap so that you have a little more clearance at the back. It will move, giving room to work and less liklihood of you damaging the gasket around the ball.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

Thanks all, I removed the exhaust manifold and slid the rear in first and the front then dropped into place. It's strange that it would clear the manifold coming out but not going back in. Tony I think you are correct about getting it sealed. I put a new gasket on so we will see. Again, thanks to all. Harv.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration