Enclosed trailer question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Enclosed trailer question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

I have always pulled open trailers drag racing. Now that I have been spending more time going to shows or working on my Model Ts or A. I want a enclosed trailer because of weather conditions or possible damage. It just seems right to pull them in a enclosed. I am asking what do most of you pull 18-20-24ft trailers? I have been pulling a 2690lb dove tail 20ft open. I pull with 1500 Ram 5.7 Hemi way with 8speed tranny and 3.92 rear axle ratio. Any suggestions what the best size in your opinion for pulling a model t or a.Thanks in advance Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 06:22 am:

Every truck has a towing capacity listed on the data plate. This also includes the gross weight of the truck and what ever it pulls.

Exceeding either one of these is pretty foolish, as the manufacturer has already done the calculations as to what they think the vehicle will do. On this forum, I hear guys talk about what they can pull with their vehicle, when they should really be more concerned about what they can stop or control with their choice of vehicles.

After those numbers are reviewed, the only left is style, comfort, maintenance and fuel costs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 07:17 am:

Tim,

Hi have a 18 foot enclosed with an extra 4 foot of V nose. Extra height too. Trailer grosses out at 7k lbs.

My 2016 Sierra with a 5.3 and 3:42 gears has zero issues pulling it. I use a weight distribution hitch and it pulls nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 07:22 am:

Tim, if you're gonna pull a model A, then I'd definitely go with the 8.5 foot wide model, that'll give you a bit more "door room" when it's in the trailer. If you want to pull a touring with the top up, you'll need at least 90" heighth. I have to put my tops down on my 8 x 16' Vee nose, I'm okay with that, as I generally run with my top down most the time anyway. Although as time goes on, that might change. Older we get, the less "sun tolerant" we get! A 16' length would be the absolute minimum, elec. brakes on ALL wheels a must.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Hi Tim Lloid,

Michael Thomas makes an important point regarding tow vehicle capacity and especially control and stopping capability.

I know that many say their 1/2 ton pickup can pull this or that and I believe them that it does. The more important issue, for me, is can the load be Safely controlled and stopped.

I have survived two towing mishaps where the "tail wagged the dog". I do not boast about it, but mention it as a caution to others.

When I eventually acquired my enclosed trailer I chose a 3/4 ton pickup as my dedicated tow vehicle; heavier vehicle, bigger wheels and tires, bigger brakes, just more substantial. This truck is not my daily driver or commuter car, it is the tow vehicle and load hauler. I run around in something smaller and more thrifty to operate.

I offer no opinion regarding vehicle brand, you can figure that out yourself. The class and capacity of your tow vehicle (e.g 3/4 ton) is really the important concern. This is one point when size does matter. Be safe. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 10:17 am:

Bill,

You make an excellent point. I went to the dealer actually looking for a 3/4 ton, but my new 1/2 ton has a 9200 lb towing capacity, so with what I do it just made sense. It is also my daily driver and I just couldn't justify the extra cost with the 3/4 ton.

I see too many people hauling way more than their trucks will handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 11:30 am:

I bought the heaviest-duty half-ton you can get from Chevy, 403hp 6.2L gas "max-towing package" with heavy duty brakes, axles, coolers, and factory brake controller with 10,400 lb tow rating.

I have a 26' enclosed V-nose and with 2 Model Ts in it, it weighs in around 8000lbs. The truck handles it VERY well, except in a crosswind... That long trailer an extra foot tall catches a lot of wind. I don't have the sway bars on yet (just got it) so hopefully that tames the ride a bit. I have also towed an 18' enclosed and you barely even know it's back there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 11:42 am:

In California they take out the lane lines on an eight lane highway and re-stripe them as a 10 lane road. The lanes are then very narrow and then they put a K-rail in the right lane right on the lane line with no right shoulder. You can make sparks if you sneeze. So I sold my 8 foot wide trailer and got a 7 foot wide unit with a winch. Happy towing ever since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 11:58 am:

Derek - once you put the weight distribution/sway bar set up on it, it will be like night and day

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

Visit your dealer. Go over the option list. You may be surprised at the high cost of some options and low cost of others. For example, I have a paint scheme similar to Greg's trailer. Cost a little over $100. All aluminum vs steel trailer was a little over $1000. I had a 7000 gvw trailer originally, and my new trailer is 10000. I consider it worth the extra money for better bearings, better tires, and larger brakes. Leaf springs or torflex axles? I felt the extra $250 for the torflex axles was worth the money. Heavy duty tongue jack is not too expensive. Rear drop down jacks are nice if you plan to store the car in the trailer.

Get a list of the options you might be interested in. Go home and think about it for a while THEN go back and make the final deal. I made the final decision to go with an all aluminum trailer after visiting the dealers lot a second time.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

I have been thinking about the same thing. Right now I am leaning towards a 26 ft V nose. It would be very tight, but would allow me to pull both my T and A at the same time, which I would like to be able to do once a year to OCF which is about 50 miles away.

Every trailer retailer basically told me the line they carry is the best. Look at several yourself and make a decision. Frame construction. How do the welds look? Is the wiring well done or is the trailer a box of scotchloks?

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

I went with 26' long, 33" V-nose, extra foot high, and E-track recessed in the floor.

Atlas brand comes standard with 5200lb Dexter (made in USA) torsion axles, 16" O.C. hat-post framing, 49" side door, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

I do not let my 16 year old kid select my truck.
I rent a 6 X 12 open trailer with a ramp gate on the back. The car fits perfectly and has a single axle that is rated for 3600 lbs. My T weighs 1300 lbs. I tow it with my all purpose Toyota 4Runner because I have had four of them so far, driven them 200K miles each and traded them in for a new one. I have never had to go to a mechanic for anything other than oil changes. I get 21 mpg and 19 mpg when towing the T at 60 to 65 mph.
I would like to have an enclosed trailer single axle 6 x 12 or a bit longer and don't know if I can get out of the car after loading it and if I need more space to strap it down at the front. So I keep renting because I have no place to keep it anyhow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

Alan,

What did I miss? Who let their 16 year old pick out their truck? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

Alan, if you get a 6 x 12 trailer you definitely will not be able to get out of the car! For that matter, you'll be lucky to be able to close the rear door of the trailer. I think also, with a single axle on that type of setup you'd also have way too heavy tongue weight. JMHO.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration