Tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 10:12 am:

I'm looking to purchase tires for my 1914. I like the gray ones. Any feedback? Also ,what all black tires would you recommend? Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 10:55 am:

I'm assuming your 1914 has the stock nondemountable clincher rims. I haven't studied gray tires enough to comment on those. Which black tires you choose depends on how authentic you want to be and how much you're willing to pay for it. Firestone NON SKID tires are period correct, but they cost a lot. Wards Riversides are a later design, but they're among the lowest priced. With all clincher tires coming from the same Vietnamese factory, I expect the brand is irrelevant when it comes to durability.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 11:04 am:

Thanks Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 11:09 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/654239.html?1466960530

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

Tim...last I knew gray tires were no longer available. I wanted them too for my '12 since the white tires don't stay white anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

I went through a similar decision process. I really wanted all white (smooth) tires, but everything I read about all the all whites said they turn yellow quickly. I called the big antique tire suppliers and they said they same thing, and more or less assured me they would turn yellow in a year.

I didn't want yellow tires, so I figured I would go with the Grey ones. Nobody had the Grey ones in stock at that time, and I do not think they are made anymore.

I went with a set of all black NONSKIDs. At least they have some character. Probably not the best from a wear perspective if you are a big tour person. I took a 65 mile tour with them last month and they did fine.

-Joe

A thread I posted prior to my decision is below:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/605637.html?1453210453

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

As far as color holdout goes, the gray tires are no better than the white. In fact, I think the gray tires are nothing more than a white tire with a coating on them. The first set I installed about five years ago was white on the inside and the bead and had a jagged line at the color change that made the gray look like a brushed-on coating. The next set (manufactured about two years ago) was gray all the way down the bead, but the insides were still white.

They turn brown in a matter of weeks and, if you attempt to clean them, it almost makes matters worse because I haven't found a way to clean them completely, then they just look like a poorly cleaned tire.... until they brown all over again.

Both the gray and white tires are a pretty poor product for the money, especially when you consider that within a matter of weeks a new brown-white tire looks far worse than a 30 year old white tire that has only turned ivory. It's an issue the manufacturers have denied for a long time and have only recently started to acknowledge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

There white looks good but I couldn't stand thinking that in such a short period of time the would change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

I don't think modern Non-Skids look like the Non-Skids of 100 years ago.

Personally, I like Coker Excelsiors; in my opinion the 30 x 3 tires have a more authentic looking profile because they don't look bulbous or oversize like some of the other brands of 30 x 3 tires.

Cokers below - 30 x 3 front, 30 x 3.5 rear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

Why do you guys have to be so black and white about this ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

I called Coker but they only offered Firestone tires!

Still searching for Cokers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

????

The Coker website shows the Coker brands - smooth, sawtooth (modern tread) and Excelsiors (tread) and three different styles of Firestones - smooth, tread and Non-Skid.

Page 1 -

https://www.cokertire.com/catalogsearch/result/?header_year=1917&header_make=FOR D&header_model=MODEL%20T&q=30X3

Page 2 -

https://www.cokertire.com/catalogsearch/result/?header_year=1917&header_make=FOR D&header_model=MODEL%20T&q=30X3#header_make=FORD&header_model=MODEL+T&header_yea r=1917&p=2&q=30X3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

Erik, Beautiful car! Can you tell us where this photo was taken? A museum event? What is the trolley or interurban car? Couldn't help notice the firetruck as well. Looks like maybe a front mounted pump? Ahrens Fox perhaps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

Thx

Maybe inventory was low?

I asked several times for Coker brand pricing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

David:

That is my dad's 1917 touring that he purchased from the original family in Buffalo, Minnesota 1949 for $5.00.

It was original/unrestored when he got it, condition wise comparable to the 1917 Rip Van Winkle Ford. If my dad knew then what we know now, he would never have restored it and kept it original.

The top is showing its age - he sewed and installed it himself in 1951. He'd like to re-do it with the correct material.

The photo was taken at a car show on Queen Ave. on the west side of Lake Harriet in Minneapolis. The Minnesota Streetcar Museum is located there. The streetcars run on an original right of way of the old Twin Cities Lines. Minneapolis and St. Paul had what was considered one of the best run streetcar systems in the U.S. The equipment was always maintained to very high standards, right up to the dismantling of the system in 1954, the result of some unfortunate and perhaps corrupt events.

http://www.msmuseum.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

Thank you Erik! Good story and museum site!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration