Low Speed Brake Chatter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Low Speed Brake Chatter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

I changed oils from STP detergent 30w to Shell Rotella-T 15w-40 and developed brake band chatter at the end of a stop.... switched back and the chatter is gone.

Also, the brake felt more responsive with the 15w-40.

Doesn't this suggest the 30w is lubricating better? I have Kevlar bands.

oil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

I think it suggests that you need to put brakes on your wheels!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wendell Gallagher on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

Any oil guys out there?

My understanding is that a 15w-40 is actually a 15 weight oil with modifiers added so that it behaves more like a 40 weight when it's hot... like adding cornstarch to a gravy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 03:51 pm:

Try some of this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

Oh boy, another oil thread! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

let the recommendations and tales of lubrication wonderment begin...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

I have used the shell 15w40 but started using 5w30 in everything after reading on here. It seems most people on here are of the opinion that any modern blend is better than the oil from back in the day. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

Use what ever works the best for YOU. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

Oil. What's that and where's the dip stick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

Here is the dipstick if you make your own

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

I am right here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 07:18 pm:

Wendell,

I had that happen too in my '21 Roadster. Someone suggested, (based on his experience), to use synthetic oil. As he said, it took a while to settle down, but after a while the chatter went away.

Your braking habits can help too. As the car slows, nearing a stop, try backing off some on the brake. You don't need to hold the pedal down in a constant position until coming to a dead stop. Also, as you're slowing to a stop, periodically let off the brake pedal then re-apply. This lets oil onto the band and drum to keep things cooler and reduce the chance of burned oil glazing onto the band lining.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration