Good News about Sure-Stop Brakes!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Good News about Sure-Stop Brakes!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

There have been several threads over the last few months regarding the availability of Sure-Stop Disc Brakes from Texas T Parts/ Birdhaven.

I have just installed a set of the large drum-wire wheel brakes on my 27 Tudor. All I lack is pouring in the fluid and bleeding the lines. That will happen around the end of the week.
Id like to report the delivery time was approximately 3 weeks, including welding the tab on my pedal. Bill Devine called me by phone to review my online order mainly to see if I had actually ordered the precise set that I actually need. Luckily, I ordered the correct part number. Thanks for checking on me.
The parts came to me very well packaged so as to hopefully eliminate damage during transit.
All parts were present.
The instructions are very clearly written, and pictures displayed.
Kate, my Border Collie beat me to the Tootsie Rolls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Manlove on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Bill
If they are like mine they will make you think you will never get all the air out then all of a sudden they are bled and you can stop. I know they are not original but if they had been available in the 1920's they would have been very popular accessories

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 11:10 am:

Buy the flex lines from TTP/Birdhaven or from NAPA, don't install the calipers on the bottom and let it hang down, the air foes to the top of the cylinder and makes it easier. I have them on three cars.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Martin Vowell is going to post illustrations of genuine original Rocky Mountain Brakes soon. For those of you who have the current models, you will be amazed at how simple these brakes are, and how foolish they were way back not to reproduce the original design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Larry- my intent in posting this is to let Model T owners know that the disc brakes are currently available and to brag a bit on Birdhaven- but since you brought up the subject of Rockies let me say the following: I currently have 2 cars with Rockies, and 2 with Sure Stop Disc Brakes. The Rockies are more than adequate for driving on dry roads, paved or gravel.

Last month my wife and I drove a hilly, gravely tour near Corydon, IN (great tour by the way). One day a light shower came through that lasted about 30 minutes. I drove the '27 Tudor which was equipped with Rockies, and believe me, it was no fun to drive in the rain, and down hill with wet brakes was scary. When I got home from the tour the Sure Stops were ordered for future tours.

So, my cars driven locally, where I can ride on dry days, have Rockies and I'm pleased with them. Cars that we tour with, where I may get caught in a stray shower, with are equipped with disc brakes and we're safer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

I just put a set of disc brakes on my touring car also. Bleeding took some time but no big deal. On our June tour we were in rain, snow, high mountain passes over 10,000 feet. Very steep grades. I had fantastic brakes at all times. Love them. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

I have a '13 Touring, that I got operable about 6 months ago, and love driving it anywhere I can. Since I have a "fairly incredible grasp of the obvious", I realized that the '13 brakes, no matter how well adjusted, could not be trusted in modern traffic.

My option was to either drive the car ,only, early on Sunday morning when there was little traffic, or to adapt to something that would help my safety. As a wise sage of our local club stated..."Safety Trumps Authenticity". Disk brakes provide a level of safety, and at least once a week, my disk brakes have proved themselves vital to protect my car, and me, which original brakes never could have provided.

I have kept my '13 as authentic as possible, but something like modern disk brakes are a safety item that should not be ignored.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 09:33 am:

If you guys are so worried about water on your brakes, why not just use the original Ford brake inside the engine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

Larry, it might have been fine for 09 to 27 but for today's driving I'd prefer an alternative too, like the folks posted above. At times your opinion serves little purpose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Seager on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

Larry, Because it don't work very well

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration