4th main oil leak

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 4th main oil leak
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 10:03 am:

I removed and rebuilt the rear axle assembly on my 27 touring. The 4th main was replaced when I rebuilt the engine a few years ago. I now have an oil leak where the driveshaft ball fits into the rear of the transmission. what would be the most common causes of this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 10:07 am:

Is there a gasket on both sides of the 4th main? There should only be a gasket on the front, no gasket on the rear. If you have a gasket on the rear, it increases the gap between the rear cap and the ball, which allows more leakage.

Some leakage is normal, keep the U-joint ball pumped full of heavy grease and it will slow down the leakage.

It's when it stops leaking that you have to worry! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 11:03 am:

Thanks Mark. I'll check the gaskets. I can't remember how many I put in or where. I'll also make sure there is lots of grease. Is 2 or 3 fillings of the screw cap adequate or should it take more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Hmmm, good question. My grease cap is one of the aftermarket ones with a grease fitting hidden inside, so I usually give the fitting 6-8 full pumps with my grease gun.

My guess - start with four full caps, then two caps every time you notice the oil leakage rate increasing.

Any input from other, more experienced members?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 11:19 am:

Typically, when you install a ujoint you pack it with grease then use the cup to replace grease lost over time. If much of the grease is "washed out" by oil I think it would take a whole lot of cups to fill it. I suggest getting the right size Zerk and using it to fill the ball with a grease gun. Once it's full put the cup back and use it frequently.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 11:58 am:

Did you make sure the transmission driving plate shaft plug was installed?

Was the replacement fourth main undersized to match the wear in the transmission drive plate shaft?

If you have a transmission oil screen, remove it and see if it makes a difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/147759.html?1277737095

Older post on U-joint filling.

Some tips on using Zerk and grease gun filling

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

As Henry said, when re-installing the driveline to the 4th. main I was amazed as to how much grease the ball cap took to really pack it in good. I use the cheater zerk cup on the '12 and the '15 and when I see oil starting to seep which means the grease is becoming viscous, I literally pump 15-20 pumps of grease into it. The oil leaks stop then for about a hundred miles. All that rapid spinning of the U-joint really does a job on grease...more than we think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Is the oil hole at the top?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

Not an oil hole, but a large grease cup, yes at the top of the ball cap. Just behind it is a little one for the driveshaft bushing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Thanks very much everyone!. It will be a couple of days but when I get back at the car, I will check all the points that have been mentioned and let you know what I find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

I fill the ball cap at each oil change. A friend of mine stated it can take 200 pumps of grease to fill the cap. I discovered for myself that is true about every 500 miles. I'm not sure where it goes as I don't see large gobs of grease outside the cap, just a small amount over time. I have a Warford so the fill is from the bottom using a modified cup with a zerk fitting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 10:45 am:

Checked the car today. Apparently my mechanic wasn't up to date on his training and did install 2 gaskets - oops, I forgot, I am the mechanic. Anyway, I'll remove the extra gasket, load the cap with grease and see what happens. I also seem to have a leak around the starter bendix cover. I'll have to see to that at the same time. If everything stops leaking, I'll check the oil. Our local club (New Brunswick Antique Auto Club) is having a 50th anniversary celebration the end of July. Since I am one of the few remaining founding members, I'd like to take the car to the event. About a 70 mile run each way. I've never driven the car that far all at once so a little nervous. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

It will make it. It's a T. Take a extra quart of oil. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

Removed the extra gasket today and packed the ujoint with grease. Oil leakage seems to be down to the odd drop now. I just took it for a short drive. Might try a little longer one tomorrow.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration