Need some advice on Checking Compression

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Need some advice on Checking Compression
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Ventrice on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 08:35 am:

HI, Can anyone tell me where can I buy a Model t compression kit? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 09:04 am:

I bought this one the rubber tipped adapters work ok then I bought a set of the 1/2 inch to 14 mm adapters that the vendors sell WA-LA I have a model t compression tester
http://www.harborfreight.com/compression-test-kit-8-pc-62638.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 09:07 am:

forgot to add this
https://www.modeltford.com/item/14MM-AD.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Indian Rocks FL on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 09:14 am:

I am not sure one is available commercially, however you can make one with no more than a trip to the local ACE hardware and about 18 bucks in your pocket.

Think high end bicycle pump...disassembled and reassembled...1/2" NPT final 'bit'...and miscellaneous pipe bits to make it work.

Folks will grouse that a bicycle gauge is no where near accurate enough...and they fail to realize that even stock compression gauges are probably just as inaccurate! I think the bicycle gauge is probably within 10% accuracy and 'good enough' for a T

It screws in so you don't need a 3rd hand...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Indian Rocks FL on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 09:16 am:

forgot to say, in the 2nd one built for my son...the brass pushbutton check valve was part of the bicycle kit I found...I just tossed the hose!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 09:34 am:

Any decent modern gauge is accurate and adequate for the job. They go higher PSI wise because moderns have higher PSI #'s but as I said their accurate enough in the low range for T use. Screw in type would be a plus, (you'd probably have to adapt something), but a rubber tipped one with a helper works too. Take comp tests dry & wet and write the #'s down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 10:04 am:

I use my 200LB compression checker with a 14mm to 1/2 NPT spark plug adapter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 10:57 am:

I have similar to what George shows except I put a 12" grease hose inline to make it flexible and easier to get better clearance at the firewall for #4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 11:28 am:

I just looked at mine, it's a 300LB not 200Lb. It's an older Sears unit, still works ok at the lower ranges.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 11:39 am:

OR.... you could drink 4 bottles of wine as suggested in another post, save the corks put one in each spark plug hole and turn the crank 2 times if they all pop out your good to go :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 11:51 am:

GR. A practical suggestion.

I found you must have the gauge with the capture feature. Compression dissipates so fast you will never get a reading above zero otherwise. I bought a 0 to 100 gauge from Grainger. When you are looking at 40 to 50 psi, the 300 psi gauge is too coarse for me.

Now, a question: should you oil the cylinders before testing to seal the rings a bit better, or do it dry, the way the car runs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 11:56 am:

Do it dry first, then see how much it improves when adding oil. That is a diagnostic for weak rings. Also make sure the carb butterfly is open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

You can get kits like this one at Harbor Freight or on eBay or Amazon for under $20. Then go to Home Depot or any hardware store for a pipe to screw thread adapter from the plumbing department.

Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-function-Compression-Cylinder-Pressure-Tester-Gaug e-Set-Kit-0-1000psi/252385213907?_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D 555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37467%26meid%3Dc704e37ca10d496f83af9 032f7bf249b%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

Or make your own adapter from an old spark plug if you have the tools and skills.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration