Wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 10:50 am:

Just finished my wheels and have them back on the car. I know not everyone agrees with natural finish, but I like it. I couldn't buy new spokes for my Canadian Kelsey wheels so I took them apart, had everything vapor blasted, sanded the spokes and used spar varnish to finish them. All the spokes seem solid and tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 11:01 am:

I like the look of natural wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 11:07 am:

They don't look "original", however, the natural wood will draw attention to the fact they are wood. Many lookers have no idea that our spokes are wood.

Be sure to keep the finish good. If you park or use the car outdoors a lot, you should refinish them every year or two. If you park inside and only take the car out once or twice a month, you can probably get buy for a long time.

They look good.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 11:24 am:

I notice in the Ford Price List of Parts dated 1928 that balloon demountable wheels for 1925-27 were available in either black or natural. Would they have had the spokes finished (varnish) or just left bare so the purchaser could finish them? Price for both black and natural is the same $5.50 for front, $7.00 for rear(incl brake drum)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

Looks great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Love the natural look! Except when I get up in the morning and look in the mirror.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Dave, I wondered the same thing. I would think Ford would have at least used some linseed oil or something, but who knows for sure?

I've got a set of wheels that appear to be the 1925-27 ones, and I haven't decided what to do with them. The wheels on my 1923 are painted black, but not the way Henry did them. Maybe I'll leave the next set wood grained.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

I forgot to add that those are some great looking wheels! Duh, silly me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 07:48 pm:

Your wheels. Your car. I have a Ruxtell in my 1911 and I don't care if they like them or not. I think you did a nice job on those and I like them aloe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

Wheels look great natural. Very clean looking. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

Good on Marvin. We must be using the same brand mirror.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

Nice car by the way. Looks like the firewood might be a little hard starting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

While the "natural" look is a modern fad (how many do you see in period photos?), I don't see anything wrong with it. If you choose to go that route, as Norm says, expect to refinish often if the car isn't kept indoors nearly all the time. Even marine spar varnish will betray you when exposed to weather. If you make them black, as God and Henry intended, Ace appliance epoxy enamel seems to hold up pretty well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Steve, Did you paint your steel rings silver or polish them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

Richard. Good one! No one else picked up on the firewood. Doesn't burn well but sure holds the soil back. There used to be another pile where the concrete wall is but after rebuilding it 3 times I gave up. Frost does crazy things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

Still on the subject of the wheels, I'm still looking for the spreader that fits these Canadian Kelsey wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

close-up of the wheel showing the holes that the above tool fits into. Same on the back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 07:53 am:

Chris, if I recall, Steve blasted his rims then sent them off to be hot dip galvanized.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 09:04 am:

Mark is correct. I took them to Valmont in Tulsa. There are numerous locations across the country.
http://www.valmont.com/valmont/products/hot-dip-galvanizing-and-coatings/hot-dip-galvanizing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 09:17 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 09:21 am:

Modern fad or not, the natural wheels look great as does the rest of the T. Then again, I like period correct wire wheels on brass T's so what do I know :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration