Coolant Leak?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Coolant Leak?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 10:53 am:

Last week after running my car for the first time in years, I discovered what looks to be a coolant leak from the top of the bolts which hold the front main bearing. To stop the leak do I need to install some kind of gasket under the castle nuts?

Your help and comments are appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 10:58 am:

No. It's dripping down on the nuts from above. No coolant in there. You may have a leaking head gasket or a leak somewhere around the water outlet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 11:05 am:

What Steve said, and you might try just tightening the outlet hose clamp screws a little. Could be they've just worked loose a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Thanks, now I see the problem is either the hose clamp or the water outlet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 11:17 am:

I have had the same problem. It turned out to be the hose clamp. Tightened and it stopped. However, I had an overheating problem, because I thought I had only leaked a little and poured about a cupful of coolant into the radiator and it looked like it was full up to the Ford mark on the front. Unfortunately, there is a baffle at about that level in the top tank, and what I was seeing was the wet baffle. The coolant was about a gallon low. The car overheated. This happened several times until I checked the coolant outside in bright sunlight and discovered my mistake. So now when I check the coolant, I jiggle the front of the car to see the coolant move and then I know it's full enough.

Two other potential leaks in that area would be the gasket where the water outlet is fastened to the head, or the head gasket. Start with a dry finger and rub the top radiator inlet to see if it is wet, then go to the bottom of the hose and see if wet there. Move to the outlet and finally the head gasket area. If you find the area wet, tighten it in that area first, and check later to see if it is still wet. Tighten a little more. Don't tighten anything below the wet area. You don't need to tighten if it is not leaking.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

Wayne:
Glad you found a simple solution with tightening the hose clamp. For a few weeks, I noticed a line of coolant pooling along the edge of the head gasket and it was damaging my engine paint. It looked as though the coolant was weeping out of the head gasket. One day, enough had leaked to actually make it to the floor under the model T.

I stressed about it for a week or so thinking about how hard it would be to deal with replacing the head gasket since I'm not real swift with such things. I even talked things over with my mechanically inclined boys, they told me how to replace the head gasket, and tried to allay my concerns.

I priced the items I would need to purchase one morning, but before ordering things, one of my boys went into the garage with me, looked things over, grabbed a screw driver, tightened the hose clamp, and solved the problem. It has been super dry ever since.

What a relief.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration