INNER TUBE QUESTION

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: INNER TUBE QUESTION
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

Trying to figure out buying a spare inner tube. I have a spare for the front tires but need one for the back tires. First thing I get asked is what size tire do I have on the back of my '24.
I am drawing a blank now, I seem to remember seeing 450 on the tire but I am told that should not be on the back wheels of a 24.
when it comes to inner tubes, does it really matter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

You may have 450-21" demountables. This is the same size tire and tube as the '26-'27 wire wheels and the '28-'29 Model A.

You'll have an easy time finding tires and tubes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Your 24 touring as pictured on your profile has 30 x 3-1/2 tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 04:31 pm:

They are split rim demountables.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 05:39 am:

Alan - I have 23" split-rim demountable rims.
I recently got new tires all around. I went from 30 x 3.5 tires from Coker because it was 5-yr old stock that they are phasing out and went with the "4.40-23/31x4" Lucas tires. They still take a 30x3.5 tube. Maytag at Lucas told me a range of tire sizes that take the 30x3.5 tube. Maybe you could email Maytag with your wheel/tire and he can tell you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 05:48 am:

The 30x3.5 tube with rubber stem is TR-135 which is the standard model # and not a unique Lucas # .

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/Tubes-Flaps-Rim-Strips_c18.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 11:02 am:

you say you're buying it for a spare, i hope you know not to store it folded up in the package it comes in. folded, it will crack at the folds in only a few months. put a small amount of air inside, and store in an old tire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 11:42 am:

My experience with tubes is significantly different.
In Sept of 2013 I bought 4 new tires and tubes for my 1919 from Langs.
It was too cold to mount them that year and I didn't have time in 2014 or 2015 so the tires stayed on the shelf and tubes remained folded up in a box.
This weekend I finally have time and the sun is available to heat the tires, so I am mounting the tires

I had heard rumors that leaving the tubes folded for a long time could be a problem so my backup plan was to use the old tubes.
All 4 tubes are perfect.
My experience is that leaving tubes folded is not a problem.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration