Holy cr#%^p. Could have ended with the fuel tank in my lap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Holy cr#%^p. Could have ended with the fuel tank in my lap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

I've been chasing an annoying rattle lately. I came from under the cowl. Was pretty sure it was the gas tank. Had to do a clean out because it was pretty rusty, so I removed the tank. No webbing, no cardboard and no rubber padding on the tank straps. This must be the reason causing the noise I thought.
But with the tank out I could look up under the cowl. Surprise.
Both metal rails that hold the tank had broken off close to the eyelets. Clean like somebody had cut trough with a hacksaw.
Guess its metal fatigue. Looks like its been like that a long time because the break points where not fresh.Boy am I glad i found out, before the tank eventually broke loose. Anyone experienced something similar ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

You'd think Henry would stand by that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 11:13 pm:

Man, you sure got me thinking. I've been looking for a rattle too, in that area, and just can not find it. I hope it's not like yours!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 11:21 pm:

I wonder how many others are like that, or close to it. They have been around a long time! metal fatigue!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 12:29 am:

One gallon of gasoline weighs about six pounds. Nine gallons would weigh 54 and the tank weighs, I don't know--let's say six pounds. So, you've got 60 or so pounds suspended from those two narrow straps and bouncing over lousy roads for decades. No wonder the straps crack. Yikes!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration