Speedster insurance question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Speedster insurance question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

I have all but completed my speedster build and have road tested it successfully. I was contemplating adding it to my collector car insurance policy, so I called them to get a quote. Tennessee law states that to qualify for antique plates, the engine and body must not be altered in any way. Since I built the body, I won't be able to use antique plates. That fact alone does not disqualify me from adding the car to my existing collector car policy because they don't care what kind of plates I run. Here's the kicker. Because it is not a stock, unaltered Model T body, even though it has a Model T drive train, it is considered a modified car for insurance purposes, the same as a T-bucket or other high powered car would be. This makes the rate quoted about 2-1/2 times higher than a stock T. Have any of you other speedster owners run into this? Do most of you pay a much higher rate for your speedster?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

I'm in TN and adding my stock T to my Hagerty policy only cost $7 for 6 months. I guess my Porsche on that policy qualifys me for a huge multi-car discount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

Dennis,

I think many people just lie about that and tell the insurance company and the state that it is a stock Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

I like my insurance company(Haggerty) they don't lie to me and I'm not going down that road. I'm not sure where that road may lead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Abbie Prince on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

If Tennessee is a title state and you have a title for the chassis that you started with I would ensure it with whatever is on that title and also tag it the same way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

Dennis, take in a picture of the three Fords that drove cross country back in 1909 and also tell them that since 1913 Ford has been selling running chassis's for people to make their own light trucks, campers, and sporting vehicles. They don't do it any more because of the "uni-body" technique used in today's vehicles.

Speedsters

AZ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

Hagerty Insurance had no trouble insuring my 18 speedster
Title says 18 truck
But then I used this title get half my T's I have owned plated and registered.
The lady at Hagerty just wanted a picture of it for there files

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 08:55 am:

So far it sounds like no ones exactly "legit" with a speedster. No DMV likes home mades. They have no regulations to cover them. I ended up, as Abbie says, titling & registering a Frazer Nash I built on a VW chassis as the VW title I had with regular plates. They drove me nuts until I caved & did the title thing but I never felt good about it. Never had an accident either so I don't know what the out come would have been if I did since I was actually lying about what I was insuring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 10:28 am:

I just called my state farm agent, he took pictures and sent me a bill. Did the same with all my T's. With a collector car policy with agreed upon value they don't really care what you have as long as you pay the premium.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

My Ohio title lists my Speedster as a "2D" (two door), as that was the closest category they could put it in. When I applied for insurance, I had to submit photos of the exterior, interior, engine, and trunk of the car, as well as a worksheet that included all custom and modified parts and information, including the home-built body, Rajo OHV, Stromberg carb, Simplex wheels, etc. After all that, THEY insured my car a two door Runabout, with the "modified" note listed as well. This was Hagerty's decision, though clearly the photos and my written description of the modifications made showed that the car was not a two door Runabout.

Here are the photos I actually sent to Hagerty when I applied for insurance:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 12:29 am:

Hagerty only realy cares what category it falls into antique classic hotrod they don't want insure a 23 T with a 350 chevy 8n it as an antique auto

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 08:36 am:

Bob has got it right. They want to protect themselves as much as insuring your vehicle is adequately covered. In general, modified vehicles cost more to build with their specialized parts. Stock late brass era and black era T's can be replaced relatively cheap. A speedster will generally have mods that can push the purchase or build price to a much higher level.

Would you want your insurance to pay for your $3000 RAJO head if the car was damaged in an accident or $25 for a stock cast iron head from the vehicle YOU claimed to be stock.

In the grand perspective, collector car insurance is cheap. I have three vehicles under Hagerty, one which is modified, and my total bill is 1/3 of my regular policy with three modern cars on it. That is a deal as far as I am concerned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert M Davis on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

I have dealt with Haggerty since 1997 have never had a claim and hope I never have one. My experience with them is they want to know where you keep or store the car you have,I have insured Motorcycles,Hotrods but mostly antique cars such as T and a model cars. They
ask you how much you want to insure them for, several insurance companys depreciate as they get older and you loose face value. Not Haggerty what ever you insure them for that is what you get face value should you have a total loss then whatever dollar value you insured them for that is what you receive for them. ALSO THEY WANT A PICTURE of insured vehicle.
RM BOB DAvis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration