WIRE WHEEL PAINTING

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: WIRE WHEEL PAINTING
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

I have just purchased a new set of McLaren 30 inch wire wheels
I am trying to decide whether to powder coat or paint the wheels.
What are the pros and cons. Is here a tire slippage problem if I powder coat?
All advice and experiences are appreciated.
Thanks
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

I run powder coated wheels on both model A s and Ts and for what i do, i have never had a issue.. The powder coating last forever and cleans up really easy compared to paint from my experiences. The cost is higher but not much. Its a opinion thing i am sure. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

Powder coat is the way to go. You can wipe road grime off with any type of solvent and it won't hurt them, they're just generally easier to keep clean. Just make sure to grind/sand off the powder coat in the lug nut holes. Shop around for quotes- it varies like you won't believe. In the northwest we can get it done at Les Schwab tire stores for $32 each whereas a regular shop will charge as much as $150 each. Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

Powder coating, no question is the only way to go! My T wires ran $85 per wheel & that included stripping, bead blasting and coating them in Red.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

I powder coated the ones on my A. I've never been sorry I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

I've got a set of '26-'27 wire wheels that I plan on painting someday. Nothing against powder coating, but I already own a paint gun and compressor. That leans the price in favor of painting.

I also like the option to change colors some day if I decide I want to go from red to blue or dark green to lime green, or some other combination of colors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

I still bead blast them,give them an exoxy primer and topcoat with a good enamel coat or two, with a bit of hardner added. Keeps me selfsufficiant and in the shop........paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

I powder coated the grille on my 72 jeep commando and it looked great until I got something from my hands on the grille and now I have a perfect hand print on my grille. The only thing I had on my hands was engine degreaser or antifreeze. My son got brake fluid on his wheels and it stained them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Well that depends If there 26 27 wire wheels les Schawb Does powder coating for $31. Bucks a wheel with them sand blasting if it a buffalo which I believe mckarens are the same paint them. Powder coating is not good for spoke wheels,things move around to much This has been my experience FYI I always straighten my own wheels before doing anything

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 12:40 am:

Painting wire wheels, you lose "A Lot" of paint spray painting. It is difficult to get all areas around the spokes painted evenly. The cost of primer and top coat is expensive plus you need to prepare the base metal and sand before the top coat. It is very time consuming sanding wire wheels.
I have painted several sets of wire wheels for model T's. The last set of wire wheels for my model A were sent to the powder coater. Should have had the other wheels powder coated vise painting.
Just my two cents!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 01:00 am:

Powder is ok for welded spoke wheels but not for laced wire wheels. If ya decide to paint them, scotch brite works great for sanding the spokes and the rims around the nipples. If you use an HPLV gun and mount them on a hub so you can spin them during painting, you don't waste a lot of paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 09:58 am:

If they are new powder is ok but if they need any pit filling to be nice I would paint them. We did the set on ocean to ocean car and any place they were chipped to the steel the rust is growing under the powder coat. On many colors I'm not happy with the shade or shine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

Gary,
I have a set of McLaren 30" wheels that are powder coated. I do have problems with tire slippage if I run less than 60 pounds of air. 60+ pounds no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

The drag racers take care of tire slippage by screwing the beads of their tires to the rim:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

Oops, forgot to add the pictures:

screw slick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

Well said Dan Oh and good to see you in Santa margarita

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 03:51 pm:

Once the wire wheels are sand blasted, JB weld works good for filling deep pits. Also, you can have wire wheel powder coated then sand removing the pits and have them re-coated. The powder coat is usually thick and does an excellent job filling pits.
I use an HPLU spray gun and the last set of wire wheels painted used approx. 3/4 gal. of top coat for 5 wheels. The top coat alone was $150.00 a gal. The Polyester primer was $75.00 a gal. Having the wire wheels sand blasted was $25.00 per wheel. It takes a lot of sanding to prepare wire wheels for final top coat.
Having them powder coated is a real deal in my opinion. I have been doing body work and painting since age 16, I'm 76 and still doing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Thanks for the input
I have heard of tires slipping and was concerned it may be the smooth powder coating paint. 60 lb would make a hard ride
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

powder coating an item with pitting can be easily dealt with using a product called "High Temp Lab Metal" available from Fastenal. Bead blast the item and clean of all dust. Mix the can well and use like bondo to fill the pits. After about half hour finish it like you would bondo. Take it the next day to the powdercoaters. The heat of the oven will cure it. Do not count on powdercoating to fill your pits. The hardest part of the process is getting the can of lab metal stirred up. It's metal--not plastic like bondo, so, it's tough to initially get stirred. I used a heavy screwdriver.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration