1911 Top Support Leather Straps - What Rivet?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1911 Top Support Leather Straps - What Rivet?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Woolf on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

We need to rivet the leather straps onto the top support for a 1911 Touring. What type of rivet was used for this application?

Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Kinda waiting for that answer myself, I have a set I need to put on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

I used some double cap rivets that I got from Tandy Leather.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/category/rivets

Right or wrong, I dunno. I used them on the X straps on the top, too.

I don't remember the size. I'll look to see if I can find them. If I do find them, I'll send you a handful if you'd like.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

That's what I had in mind, looks like it would work fine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

They should be tubular brass rivets, not the decorative capped ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 12:11 am:

like this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Woolf on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 07:44 am:

Thanks for the replies. I suspected a tubular rivet might be the right answer. I think I can get tubular rivets at the local hardware store.

Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 10:05 am:

Keith.

Yes but the flare tool gives a smooth lip. Also there is a brass washer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

These are some photos I saved from an old post awhile back. My apologies for not being able to provide proper credit. I believe they were posted by Bob Bergstadt in answer to a similar question. They look like solid rivets with washers. I'll add the disclaimer that while they look original, once things get that much age on them (particularly leather) it's hard to truly know. Maybe they were repaired at 10 years old. It does, however, look like a pretty legit rivet job in the style you see from a harness shop.

(Message edited by WMH on July 16, 2016)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration