Is it normal for a Ruckstell axle backing plate to not have bushes for the brake cam?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Is it normal for a Ruckstell axle backing plate to not have bushes for the brake cam?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 05:01 am:

The shafts on the parking brake cams of my Town Car show wear so I set about replacing the parts and installing lined shoes in place of the original cast iron shoes which have been there for the last 53 years I have had the T plus who knows how many miles in its first life.

Expecting to remove the old bushing for the brake cam I was surprised to find the Ruckstell diff backing plate has no bushing.

The backing plate has just been drilled 1/2' for the shaft. Is that how they all were or has this one just slipped through the system? Can't say I have ever heard anyone mention that there are no bushings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 07:47 am:

Mine had no bushings and were worn, so I drilled them out and installed the stock Ford bushings. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 08:00 am:

The early Hall-Scott produced Ruckstells didn't have the bushing, while the later Eaton produced units had it according to earlier discussions at the forum:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/324140.html?1354674767

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 08:01 am:

Makes sense. Several parts of my Ruckstell were marked Hall-Scott.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 08:21 am:

My Ruckstell is an early Hall - Scott so that answers the question.

I've drilled it out and will add a bush tomorrow.

Rodger, you are amazing at finding old threads.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration