EBay: Would you pay this?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: EBay: Would you pay this?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 09:21 am:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MODEL-T-FORD-CYLINDER-HEAD-LOW-HEAD-1913-1917-/282098097 307?hash=item41ae5b5c9b:g:yCYAAOSw-RRXDTrp&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 09:33 am:

I can beat that. I got one that's not even cracked for 500 free shipping

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 09:34 am:

A nice looking head with a first rate repair job done to it.
The obvious reason the price is high is because it cost more to repair the head and clean it up than what a good uncracked head would be worth. He has to make up the cost of repair somehow.

But for the guy who needs one its how bad do you want it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Just looked at Ebay and there is another low head listed for the buy it now price of 165.00.

It has cracks on top of the head that may or may not leak. Its a good candidate for a J-B weld repair. These show up from time to time for 200.00 or so that are good ones.

I got the one that I used for my 21 Touring (not correct of course thought it might add a 'little' more compression.

There was a garage sale 8 miles from my house and a 17 block, transmission and the low head along with some odds and ends were piled in the back of a garage. I paid 125.00 for the pile. I just got lucky. It does happen every once and a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 10:25 am:

That head and like many of the other T items that seller puts one ebay are wildly over priced and are re-listed time after time. Look at the other items they have listed. That's my OP and I am sticking to it. Low heads come up for sale often enough and the price is way less then that for heads of that vintage. Now if it were an early head, that might be a different story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 10:27 am:

The guy that's selling that head has smoking crack prices on EVERYTHING he offers for sale. If you look at the items he has sold he does manage to find another crack head or two happy to be fleeced!
Go figure! Some of the items have been listed continuously for well over a year. I emailed him to let him know his pricing was laughable and got a cocky response back. I guess some people think the stuff "They Own" rates freaking solid gold prices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 10:58 am:

OK before the trash talk train leaves the station "That Guy" has been a contributor on the forum. I have purchased some parts from him and found him to be quite helpful and great to deal with. His father was an extremely well respected member of the T community. There's always two sides of the story and we shouldn't be the court of public opinion to crucify someone on the forum. If a part is priced higher than you would pay for it on eBay or here smile and move on! I know we all have been to a swap meet and have seen a priced item that takes our breath away and makes you shake your head. I HOPE everyone here has enough class to not tell the guy face to face he's a crack head! Conversely if you were building a points car and needed a low head casting date to match your motor what would it be worth then. I grew up with southern values: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roy palmer on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 11:05 am:

Well, I guess wildly overpriced or "laughable" to some, but he seems to sell a lot and, as with the case of this head, it does say Best Offer. There is no comparison to a fix with JB weld and metal stitching and itís silly to think so. So Iíd rather pay a little more and not be sorry. Others may agree with me on that but others may not. Plus the head, in the write up says it has been pressure tested.

Its easy to say ďwildly overpricedĒ but I think many on these forums donít realize many of us donít have time to run all over the country looking for parts. In fact many areas collectors do not have the opportunity to go to Model T Flea Markets. I have seen some price complaints about this seller but it seems he sells his parts and all are satisfied because he has 100 percent good ratings.

Sure you can get lucky and find a bargain, searching and traveling all over to do so, but many cannot do it. My dad used to do that but I donít have the time or the opportunity to do so and many others do not.

I also have a difficult time understanding how those of us who spend time and energy and money in this hobby would not want the price of our parts and cars to increase in value. Especially original parts in good condition..But thatís just my opinionÖ

Furthermore , why should anyone really care? Is it really our business? Who are we to tell anyone what they should sell their parts for? If you don't want to pay it, don't buy it. Why should anyone care how long some items are for sale on Ebay? Maybe I'm one of the younger posters here but I don't get it.

I would say dictating to someone what he should charge for his parts is far more "cocky" than someone not taking kindly to being told what prices he should sell his parts for.

So what do we do, tell the guy even if he is getting good prices, that he should lower them to suit our sensibilities?

In the final analysis, if he is selling much it would seem that those who say that the prices are too high, are looking foolish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

I guess my wife should put a little less starch in my BVD's.:-) I grew up in the NYC metro area, we didn't candy coat what we had to say. Sorry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 04:00 pm:

You guys would feel real bad if some newbie you just took under your wing went and bought that thinking it was the going price. I don't see a problem with discussion of overpriced parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

And to think I gave two heads away last week! :-) Just trying to repay all the nice folks who sent me free spare parts when I got into the hobby by helping out new folks now.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roy palmer on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

I guess 245 of us are stupid because we bought from the guy and we're happy because the guy has that many good feedback and no bad feedback.

Because you don't like the price doesn't mean they are overpriced it just means you want them cheaper. Yeah so do we all.

I see most of the the higher priced items r Best Offer so there you go, there's an option.

I would like the vendors prices to be less too but they are not,

In fact much is repro and more expensive or equal to that of good originals. Do you chastise and mock them as well on this forum? If you don't then that's hardly fair. If you do then you should probably find something better to do with your time because you are then just raging against everyone to no end

If you want to give your parts away, that's fine . This guy may also give parts away to friends as well , you just don't know.

But to say the guy is on crack because he is successful selling his parts at good prices, that smacks of petty jealousy and a good portion of flatulent indignation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

I bought a whole dang engine for that. Had a good low head too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

I'm sure we all have the score we've made.doesn't mean it couldn't have sold for more to someone else. I bought my Frontenac SR head for $50.00. That will never happen again. Again Greg has make offer. Or better yet move on. MG

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration