Wood spoke wheel maintenance question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wood spoke wheel maintenance question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 10:25 am:

What if anything is required to maintain a set of "in good condition" wood spoke wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 10:33 am:

So far the only thing I do with mine, which a few where rebuilt a few years back. I every so often tap each spoke with a plastic mallet. I listen for the sound they make. If one is loose, you can hear it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 11:03 am:

Water and direct exposure to the sun are woods enemies. The more you can do to limit exposure to these two things the better off your spokes will be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

Good storage when the car is not in use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

I have heard that back in the day people would drive their cars through standing water to purposely swell old spokes. Probably not the best idea, but back then it was harder to get new spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

It's true, it's true! :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

I used to build carriages and wagons in Montana and once a year in that 10% moisture I would drop the wheels in the cattle tank to swell them up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

Auto wash thats a good pic. Wonder how clean they will be. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 03:04 am:

Where can I find my nearest Auto Wash Bowl. I'll grab the T and my swimsuit and head on down.
How cool is that?
Great photo Mark - Thanks!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration