Shroud year...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Shroud year...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Lance on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 11:04 am:

Can you guys verify the year of these?

Thanks in advance!
Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 11:56 am:

Phil-
It is hard to say from the photos, but it looks like the one on the left is used for the low radiator from 1917-1923, however the large holes where it mounts puts it about 1920-1923. It is missing the bottom trim that runs across the bottom of the radiator.

The shroud on the right looks to be from 1924-1925 for the tall radiator. It also has a bottom trim piece called an apron (it covers the whole area under the radiator and frame) that is missing.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

I thought that the low shell did not use a bottom trim. I also thought the trim piece for the high shell was a separate piece and not attached to the shell. Would someone comment on this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

Low shell had a small trim piece at bottom.You are correct that the high shell apron was a separate piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Lance on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

Thank a bunch for answering my stupid questions (I have plenty more). I am putting together a basic 26 speedster...Engine is a 19 with a 26 frame. I have a very early hood...Maybe someone on the board might like to trade these out for the parts I need...I'll ponder the thought...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

Shroud, OK, usually when I see "shroud" I think of a burial cloth, etc. :-)
I think you'll find someone here quite happy to trade for that hood! (I have mine or I'd be one of them!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

Like minds, David - I pictured the burial shroud of Turin.

I believe the correct terminology for that part (shroud) is a radiator shell, Philip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

When I read shroud I thought of the very rare ( I think 1917 era) fan shroud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

I guess I am in Layden's crowd with this one. MY first thought at reading the thread title was "Ford only used a fan shroud for less than one year?!"
"Radiator shell" is the common and generally proper term for that part. Most early radiators did not have a shell, and were made as a single assembly with the upper and lower water tanks exposed and nicely made. Eventually, they figured out that it was less labor and therefore cheaper to make crude water tanks and hide them under a light shell.
Other words were used, some colloquially, or regionally, or in other parts of the world. However, "shell" was the big one from the beginning.
A few words, like "shroud" or "surround" were rarely used long ago, but have become common among the internet generation. Much of the internet generation follows the belief that the world was made and/or given to them the day they were born, and seem to feel the need to name things their way rather than learn what they were properly called.
This may have sounded like a rant, and that I am jumping all over your generation. But it is not (at least not totally). I noticed that you thanked someone on another thread for correcting your terminology. So I want to compliment you on trying to learn some of this stuff. Good luck!
Also, it has been said before. There are no "stupid questions". There are sometimes "grouchy old farts", and sometimes I am one of them.
Welcome to the affliction!
Drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

This Ebay listing has some good pictures of the low shell and its lower trim piece. I have no connection to the listing or the seller. :-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-Low-Radiator-Shell-1917-1923-MT-84-/4011547 49323?hash=item5d66afb38b:g:FYcAAOSw6WdXiVlB&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Lance on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

Gentlemen,

Thanks a million for the info. Always appreciated. I shall now call this a "shell" from here forward.

Agree about the internet although I am not that young (46), growing up in the 80's "Shroud" is all we knew!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 04:46 am:

The shroud on the right would fit 1926/27 too. Many '26/'27 got fancier nickeled shrouds made of brass, but black painted steel was also used on most of the open cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 11:57 am:

Common communication problem is that words change their meaning over time, geography and context. It would be helpful if those of us in the Model T community would try to use the Ford nomenclature of the parts books.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration