Gypsy curtains

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Gypsy curtains
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

Hi,
I have a set of nos Ford gipsy curtains for my '26 roadster. Can someone show me how they attach? Where does the little spring attach? and do they go inside or out side of the door?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

A Google search on "gypsy curtains MTFCA" revealed these threads:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/132544.html?1269639613

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/115627.html?1259854160

There were many more, but the two above seem to contain the required information. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

thanks Mark,
Those posting are very helpful,
will

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

Will, Here are some photos of the repro "gypsy" curtains on my 27 touring. The repros are very nice. They come without the "lift the dot" fasteners installed in the curtains. That way you can match them to your studs on the windshield. I would be very interested in seeing a photo of your original curtains. Particularly the orientation of the "lit the dot" fastener in the curtain. If you notice I have installed my fasteners running lengthways parallel to the ground. My repro complete set of regular side curtains that came with my car, have the fasteners running vertical. The side curtains have a tendency to become un-snapped all the time. So I did some testing and figured out there is a "right way" and a "wrong way" to install the fastener in relation to the "pull" of the curtain as it is in use. The way I have the fasteners installed in the photos of my "Gypsy" curtains is working very well and do not try to come off in use. So I would love to see an original set to see if I did it as "Ford" did. As far as I have found out so far, the "gypsy" curtains were only offered in tan canvas by Ford for use with the Sport Roadster or Sport Touring package. The top boot could be had in Tan Canvas or Black on US cars. The side curtains on US cars were black. I am unsure if side curtains were black or tan on Canadian cars but I believe they were all tan on the Canadian Improved models. All black 'Gypsy" curtains are a later replacement type of item offered as aftermarket or our new parts suppliers. Have fun and be safe Donnie Brown ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 05:09 am:

A bit OT for this thread... Gypsy curtains may have been a fashion trend during the 20's - here's seemingly original gypsy curtains on a 1923 Renault in a Swedish car museum: (Svedino's, http://www.svedinos.se/en/carmuseum/ )

Ll

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 09:44 am:

Donnie,
Here are some images from the NOS ones that I have. I think I have shown
The eyelet at the bottom corner, any idea how that works?Also I have noted that the posts that screw into the stanchion are a smaller thread than the ones supplied bu Mac'severything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 09:58 am:

I think you will notice that the lift the dot fastener on the top corner is on a diagonal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 11:41 am:

Will, Thanks for the photos. They show some interesting details. I am glad to see the fasteners are like I installed mine. The diagonal fastener may be the way all of them were supposed to be installed, or could just be the way that particular worker installed it. It will still work in that position and not come off. The main thing of interest to me is the grommet at the bottom. On your other thread about the little side curtain clip on the bottom windshield stanchion bolt. (I will repost your pic of the clip here) I have always believed that the clip was used on 15-25 cars and not used on 26-27 Improved models. Since your car is a very early 1926, It could be the clips were a "carry over" for a little while in early 1926. Your side curtains also seem to give credence to the fact that the Gypsy curtains had them. The clip in your photo is in the correct position to "slide" the grommet into position and then hook the "lift the dot" fasteners. The repro "gypsy"curtains are supposed to be a copy of some original curtains. It may be that the design changed thru the 26-27 models and there is more than one "correct" version of them. Your "spring and hook" is also a different design. I would think your design would have been easier to reproduce than the one they are using on the repro side curtains. So there may be more than one version of the "spring and hook" ?????. Thanks for the photos. They show one more "possible" variation to the puzzle of Improved Model changes. Im also glad to see they were tan canvas ... :-) :-)

If anyone has some original "gypsy curtains" that they could take some photos of, I would love to add them to the Improved Model information I have been collecting. If I live long enough I would like to compile all the info into a book about 26-27 Improved Model changes. So any input is greatly appreciated ... Have fun and be safe Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

I bought these about 1960 or so from a guy in Philly that had a lot of NOS parts so these may have been in a dealer's inventory for who knows how long. As to say they were from 1926-27 there is really no way to date them except they were made before 1960. However I assume they were made in the 20s or soon after.
Donnie did you see the thread about hip panel trim on my '26 a month or so back? There is a case of a variation with the 26-27s that you might not have been aware of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 11:42 am:

I have a NOS gypsy curtain that I got in a pile of side curtains I bought years ago. I only have one side, and don't know which side it is. I assume it is Ford, since all the other curtains are marked Ford.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration