Ford coil id

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ford coil id
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

I notice some of the T coils say ford on the side and some the top edge. Is that due to different years or where they were manufactured? Thanks in advance. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, July 15, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

I thought this would be about the coil's inner self, the dark driving forces that push our needs to perform. The script on the outside has more to do with ego than id.

Sorry about that. Just me being snide, and displaying my warped sense of questionable humor.

I know that there is some correlation to vintage and the many variations of markings, but I do not know off the top of my head what was used when. There have been some good discussions in the past about it, and I believe an excellent article in the Vintage Ford about thirty years ago. But I don't have ready access to either of those.
Again, my apologies.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 12:22 am:

Tim and Wayne,
If you send me an email I can send you a copy of the coil story by Ron Patterson.
In the article it say that the side Ford mark is from 1919 to 1923 and the top mark is from 1923 till the end of production.

The article is too big to post on the forum.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 12:25 am:

Here you have it all.
http://www.mtfca.com/coils/Coils.htm

Enjoy

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 12:57 am:

THANK YOU Andre V!!!!!
I have bookmarked it.
Drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 02:33 am:

Ron send me the copy of the article a few years ago when I bought a few Heinze coils. They were all different and I had a lot of questions about them. Most of the answers were in the article. Two coils fitted directly in a "normal" coil box. Now I have 5 of these coils, four to run the car and one spare. ( They were NOT cheap, Don't tell my wife)

A small part of the article talk about the use of a Master coil in the early tens. As I like challenges, I made two cars running with a master coil. One was K/W and is still running, for two years now, the other was New York Coil Company. This one broke down after a few miles due to the points.
The K/W coil was rebuild with a new capacitor and new points. For the New York coil I had to rebuild the points and couldn't find better, the coil have also a new capacitor.

The car with the K/W master coil is used weekly and run well. Even cold it give me free starts but I doubt this has to do with the master coil I think four right set up coils will do the same.
Cold starting on magneto is no problem just need to think about setting the advance four clicks down.

Interesting in the article is also to see the evolution of the coils .

Enjoy and drive keep it safe.

Andre
belgium

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration