Alternater type

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Alternater type
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 12:23 am:

I had the privilege to purchase a 1924 Model T pickup. My problem, it did not come with a generator or alternator. Since the truck is wired 12 volt, I plan on going with an alternator. My question is, do I go with the mount on type or the type that goes into the generator hole. ? If you have had an experience, drop me a line on the does and don't and were to purchase.

Thanks,

George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 01:17 am:

If there is a hole for it, I would use it. (My 2c worth). The Becker boys may be a source. Maybe someone will have their info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 01:24 am:

I have 2 alternators that fit in the hole that I'm not using, but I don't know their status. I'm not sure if they are 6 or 12 Volts. If anyone on this forum knows how to tell, I could use help on that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 01:27 am:

That is, without mounting them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

Do as you wish, as it is your car.........but to me, an alternator just looks terribly out of place under the hood of a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

Hal, How about an air conditioning compressor? Lot of "Hal"s here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

To each his own I suppose. Certainly not something I would do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

Why? Put in a Battery Tender charger and just plug in and forget about it until next time you use the car. The battery will be charged ready to go and will start and run all day no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

A standard Ford generator can charge a 12v battery just as good as a 6v. It doesn't have to be altered - it doesn't know any limits to how many volts it puts out, it's regulated by the battery it charges.
You have to adjust the third brush though, so it doesn't charge more amps than needed - only half as many are needed in a 12v system.

The Ford generator is capable of charging about 80w, that's about 13A in a 6v system or 7A in a 12v system. But no battery wants that much charging when it's full, so either you can regulate by having the lights on - or you may buy a modern regulator from Fun Projects.

The only thing different in your T wired for 12v could be the light bulbs, quite easy to change :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

George, did your car come with a flywheel magneto? Look in the transmission inspection cover, If you see the ends of the magnets you may be good to go with little trouble or expense. The Model T magneto is really an alternator and puts out AC current- just no regulation. Fun Projects has a kit for making a battery charging circuit from your magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

My T came with 12v and a bad generator. I bought a Becker alternator which came apart and I received no customer support from Daryl. I then bought a Texas T alternator, good unit and good service. PK

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration