OT I am P.O.ed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT I am P.O.ed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

Coming back from a swap meet today and got rear ended. Now my new truck ( not had the second oil change) is just a FWT. No one hurt, just have to go to all the BS with getting it fixed. It will now be marked as a wrecked vehicle. Could be worse. Had to vent Thanks, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 02:36 pm:

Been there. Dealt with that. Hate it a lot (it just isn't right how they interpret "making you whole" when some idiot smashes into you).
Vent away. You have my sympathies. I am just glad that you were not hurt.
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

Someone texting ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

I think a cell phone was the reason. There were 3 vehicles smashed. I was the front one. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

$#@#$!! Cell phone users!!! (OK, an assumption on my part, but quite likely. Your state changes the registration after a wreck repair? Only happens here (Calif) when the insurance company totals the vehicle (AFAIK).
Hope everyone is OK, and you didn't get any whiplash (it sometimes shows up weeks later, so check that out!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

Dan,

Sorry to hear that. I'm glad you were not hurt.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

Cell phones are worse then Alcohol. And cell phone users are worse then alcoholics, they are under the misconception that they can put the phone down if they get in trouble (of course they are in a fix because they are not paying attention) but the brain has a remarkable ability to concentrate all its power on the most important task, this will help a very drunk person function fairly well in am emergence, but make a phone user totally useless because the brain registers the phone as the most important task. Of course it it was not more important than driving the car, the cell phone user would be paying attention to the task rather than on the phone. anyone who gets into a wreck while using a phone should be barred from having cell service, or the service provider should be liable for the next accident. This is basically the same as making a bartender liable if a costumer gets in a wreck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

That happened to my 11 Jeep, Overland, Sumit, twice before I had 2000 miles on it. I feel your pain...glad no-one was hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 03:25 pm:

My friend had just paid off his car.

Two weeks later, some stupid young girl swerved to miss a semi that was parked in the middle of the street. She went over the curb and a large berm, tore through some significant shrubbery, shot across the parking lot and totaled my friend's car that was sitting in the parking lot of his employer! He thought his co-workers were joking when then told him his car was totaled.

The tow truck driver told my friend that the stupid girl admitted to texting when she swerved to miss the truck.

I was more PO'd than my friend. He actually received a very generous payout from her insurance, but she got away scot free. Mommy and Daddy will just buy her a new car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 03:26 pm:

My friend had just paid off his car.

Two weeks later, some stupid young girl swerved to miss a semi that was parked in the middle of the street. She went over the curb and a large berm, tore through some significant shrubbery, shot across the parking lot and totaled my friend's car that was sitting in the parking lot of his employer! He thought his co-workers were joking when they told him his car was totaled.

The tow truck driver told my friend that the stupid girl admitted to texting when she swerved to miss the truck.

I was more PO'd than my friend. He actually received a very generous payout from her insurance, but she got away scot free. Mommy and Daddy will just buy her a new car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

I am sorry for your lost, but happy that no one was hurt.

Sometimes you can get the insurance company to give you a bit extra because the truck will be worth less due to car fax showing that is was in an accident?

Don't settled too quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

Fred is correct. There is a thing called "Diminished value" that you should talk with your insurance adjuster about. Should come into play since your vehicle is new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe LaMacchia, St. Louis, MO. on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

Hate to say it, but.....GET A LAWYER! Insurance Co.'s have lawyers working for them to pay out as little as possible, you should have one working for your interest. I'd probably also sue the driver at fault for attorney's fees, especially since the driver was on a cell phone. I'd sock it to 'em!

Neck/back problems always show up a few weeks or even months later. Once you settle, it's too late.
Also, not sure about your state, but lawyers can recover extra money for the depreciation of your vehicle being wrecked, it's now worth less than the exact same vehicle never wrecked. Diminished value, as others have stated. Don't expect your own insurance company to fight it out for you, that's what lawyers do.

Quick story, just last week my neighbor told me she was rear-ended. At fault Ins Co. fixed her vehicle quickly, offered her a quick $500 pay off for pain & suffering, and she accepted. Couple of weeks later she's complaining of headaches, pains, sinus problems, etc. She now wishes she had a lawyer.

Anyway, you may have already done all of that. If not, I recommend these guys.

Sorry....couldn't resist.
GOOD LUCK!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

The cops will undoubtedly check her cell phone records to verify when and if she was on her #$%^&**&^%$%# cell phone.
HER fun is also just beginning........and I hope she has LOTS OF IT........ :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Might have been Pokemon. I understand that people who play it walk off cliffs or into incoming traffic. Worse than regular cell phone calling!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

Hmm, D'arcy Dewey, my niece, IS a lawyer!! HMMMM.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

Yea, at least wait a few weeks before settling and don't talk much to the other company's lawyer.
Give your body time before you start talking settlement.
Getting a lawyer feels like you are hiring a snake.But if your snake is bigger than the other guys,you might get justice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 10:09 pm:

DON'T hire Bumble, Fumble and Stumble.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

Dewey, Cheatem and Howe might be a better option....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 01:40 am:

I cannot think of a single time the insurance company (mine OR theirs) did not do
their level best to screw me.

As an example, last 17 November, we had a hellacious windstorm that ripped the
roof off my shop and scattered it over a 3-4 block area. The whole town was hit hard
and contractors will be busy for years cleaning up the mess. Being a contractor, I tend
to just fix my own stuff and not fuss with it, but this was large, so I called my insurance
company. They paid another contractor $1500 to come place tarps over the part I did
not do myself. I called them back FIVE times because it was still leaking (never did get
it to stop) and then the #@! insurance company first denies my claim, saying it never had
a roof on it (!!!) and later saying because I run my business out of it, I had no "business
coverage", I was ineligible ! They are still withholding $2500 and requesting receipts for
all work done to finalize payment.

It's a well known secret that insurance companies have their own Asshole Academy,
to train personnel on how to cheat at every level. And they are beholden only to the
share pricing of their company and do not give two $#!ts about the insured .... their
welfare, financial or physical.

Get a multiply-recommended insurance specializing attorney and deny the insurance
company/ies all access until advised to allow it BY said attorney.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 07:47 am:

Know how you feel Dan, I have been Rear ended and side swiped in the past 6 months someone was in a hurry and texting at the same time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 08:28 am:

To give you a good idea of how insurance works.
When I sat down with my lawyer and the insurance company's lawyers to "mediate" a settlement from my accident,My hired snake ask for 1.2 million to settle my case.
The snake the insurance company hired counter offered 20,000 dollars.
So that just shows how much your physical well being and health is really worth to a insurance company.
And trust me, when it was all said and done, my lawyer got the largest chunk.

When I got rammed in the side while driving my station wagon in 1995 the insurance of course totaled my 77 chevy. Offered me 200 dollars for it!. I told that Sweet Ol Bob just what I thought of that, and I refused. Next day, I had went to work early, was taking a nap in the car in the shade when a wrecker backed up to it. He was surprised to see me pop up in the seat and Hauled A--! They sent a wrecker to take my car before paying! I finally did get 650 and kept the car. still drive it. You just have to be stern with those turkeys and not take any crap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 08:43 am:

Mack that is just the start. When I went to get my E-250 fixed after the side-swipe they come out with an estimate of $2100 and tried to write me a check (because my van was more than 10 years old and had more than 100,000 miles. I told them no I don't want your check I want the van fixed so after giving them the name of a well known law firm and their phone number (they work in my building and I control their HVAC they said I could use their name in vain) They rented me a 2016 Ford 4wd and it took a week and a half to get the van fixed translate that cost compared to what they offered me and it equals Skrewd :-( I just wonder how many people would take that check and run?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 09:01 am:

No One Got Hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

Getting hurt only = 10x the cost (or more). Fenders and bondo only cost so much. Putting
that hip, shoulder, and eye back in operating condition seem to require a higher level of finesse,
and thusly costs go way up.

Dissirregardlessly, the insurance rep is going to do his damnedest to pay out the least amount
he/she can get away with, often so far beyond moral/ethical grounds, it is astounding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

I have great respectedness for anyone with the ability to add to his (and my) vocabulary with great skill in the area of inventivnation!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

With respect to my homeowners insurance (35 years without a claim, then had a claim and when they were finished I had been screwed down to a payment of almost nothing), I agree with what has been said here. On the other hand, I started car insurance with USAA in 1964 and am still with them. They have always been fair and their reps are a pleasure to talk to on the phone. Anja had a few accidents through the years and our premium didn't go up. In one case, she spent four or five days in the hospital. When USAA said they were going to pay 80% of the hospital cost, I pointed out (ol' straight arrow, that's me) that our medical insurance had paid 80%. The response was that they didn't care... I had medical payments coverage with USAA and they were going to pay. Only time I ever wished she had stayed in the hospital a few more days.... :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration