Sooty plugs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Sooty plugs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

Just used a TW Timing tool to set the timing on my 27. Nice tool and does a good job. I noticed while I had my plugs out that they were quite sooty. I always keep my adjusting knob set to the "sweet spot" just between running a little rough from too rich and a little rough from too lean. What could cause this? I am using the original vaporizer on this car and it runs well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

I've noticed the same on my '24

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

Maybe it'll burn clean inside if you let it wind out for some miles from time to time on some lonesome straight road :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

Don't know Roger, The Mounties (RCMP) are pretty vigilant around here and I don't have a speedometer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Schrepfer on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

Had the same issue, turned out the preheater was restricting the air flow thru the carb. Removed it, and plugs are staying much cleaner. May have some restriction in vaporizer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 09:16 am:

Joe, what do you mean by the preheater? The tube from the mixing chamber to the float bowl?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Schrepfer on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 11:26 am:

It was a brass preheater going into a Kingston Y-1. Your vaporizer is a different set up, just saying to check and make sure you are getting enough air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 11:34 am:

What plugs and gap are you running?
A hotter plug may help.
Changing gap may help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 11:24 am:

I am running Champion A-25 set at .035

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 11:43 am:

According to this table, A25s are the coldest of four 1/2 inch pipe plugs that Champion sold. The table doesn't show Champion Xs, so I don't know where they fall on heat range. Also, note that the table recommends a gap of 0.030 for A-25s.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

Cleaned the plugs today and reset them to .030. I'll give it a run on the weekend and see if they soot up again. If so, I may try a hotter plug. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

My Champions @ .30 don't seem to soot up of I drive couple miles. 2-3 miles I have never seen any sooting at all. I heard start a old car and not drive2-3 miles. Just my opinion Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration