Brass plating large items

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Brass plating large items
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

Well, I thought the shop I took my fenders to was going to be able to help me out, but I guess they don't really want the business. There were a bunch reasons why they couldn't do it and then the price went WAY up, so, oh well.

Does anyone on the forum know where I could get these fenders brass plated? If you know of a shop that does good work I'll be happy to give them a call. I get that it's not a tough finish and they'll need to be clear coated. But it's how I want the car to look. I'm in north Alabama so the closer to me the better but at this point I don't really care as long as it's within the U.S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

There was a place in Florence AL called Graves plating. Do not know if they do brass. Do not know about price. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

I sent my lamps to a member in Texas, close to the border. He is a frequent poster on here. Darn if I can remember his name. He may be able to help you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

Lol normally there's this tidal wave of posters with lots of suggestions. I'll check with Graves. Dave, let me know if you think of the guy's name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Ken Kopsky in Lytle TX

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

Haha Ken made the fenders for me. I told him I wanted to get them brass plated but he never mentioned having the ability or desire to do so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

I've had several items brass plated by Memphis Plating Works, in Memphis, TN. They did a nice job on the parts. They weren't cheap, but were reasonable. I'd use them again when I need that service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

I got a lot of parts brass plated on our 1906 Moline. The steering column was solid brass but would not polish out well. It was plated and the brass came off when we attempted to polish it. The plater had nickel plated the brass in order to brass plate it so I simply removed the 1/100,000,000 inch thick plating that the jerk provided at a very high price that simply washed off but satisfied the government @$$ 4073$ and simply varnished the nickel plating. The varnish makes the nickel look like brass and it never tarnishes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 11:14 pm:

I guess I'll post this option one more time. When I was restoring my '13 I wanted brass plated levers for the steering column. The plater I deal with recommended to finish them with gold plating and I went with his advice. His point was that it never tarnishes. So a final flash of gold over the nickle. Now going on 16 years. The actual cost of the metal is relatively small compared to the cost of the labour

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

Les, color-wise how does the gold match up with polished brass? I want the fenders to be as bright and shiny as the radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 12:55 am:

A lot of the little parts on my car are gold instead of brass. At the time there wasn't much price difference. You can't tell which are which until the brass starts to tarnish. The added bonus is less polishing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 02:51 am:

Seth,
Those are great Speedster fenders! Makes me want to find motorcycle tires that could fit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 10:00 am:

These guys are in Nashville Tn. I have seen some of their work always top notch
http://www.advancedplating.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 10:56 am:

Seth
Another thought. There are some really impressive powder coats that resemble chrome. Maybe there are ones that resemble brass. Worth looking into

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 11:00 am:

Seth
Can you show us your fender brackets please? I have some similar fenders and would like to learn from your experience
Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

Thanks for the input everyone. I have several places to call tomorrow and see what they say, both for gold and brass.

Les, as you will see in pics these fenders only have a folded edge, as opposed to a wire one. The original idea for the fenders came from seeing a Mercury speedster, I just wanted wanted mine to hug the tires more. So I just nailed them to the top of tire. It looks awesome. Haha, just kidding.

Here's the fender side of the brackets. I just took some inch wide steel bar and bent it to match the curve of the fender. A little relief for the folded edge and then I just welded those pieces in place. Next post will have the actual brackets and how they attach to car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

The front brackets are a bit, uh, exotic? Ha, I started with a piece of .5" steel rod connected at two points on the fender and quickly discovered it wasn't nearly stiff enough. I added the third, middle bracket and then used .25" rod to stiffen and brace the shape. Each piece was in response to a different shake or vibration I was getting while test driving. The end result looks a little crazy, but being black it blends into the running gear and tire. I'll have both the exposed bracket portion of the fenders as well as the hardware all painted black to minimize it. My ultimate goal is for the brass fenders to look like they just sort of magically float above the tires. I also wanted something that was essentially bolt-on. I welded two small tabs to the spindles and steering arms that can easily be cut and ground off and painted.

For the tears I went with 3 points of contact but didn't have to weld or add anything to the running gear. Rear bracket just gets bolted on where AC brakes are. Front bracket clamps to the radius rods. And center bracket sits on the radius rod rear end bolts. One note - I made these originally while running wood spoke wheels and ended up going to wires, wires with small drums meant a 1" spacer, so I had to move the rear wheel fenders out 1" by cutting and tweaking the brackets.

The rear fenders are ROCK solid and don't budge at all at any speed or bump, I was very pleased with how they rode. The fronts are also extremely stiff, but on bumps you can see them jiggle just a wee bit. Still, I only have 3/4" of clearance between fenders and tires and even on bad bumps they never touch the tires. If I can just get them brass plated I'll post gobs of pictures from every angle once they're on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

Forgot this picture of front bracket in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

Seth
Thank you

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration