Neoprene seal on gas line

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Neoprene seal on gas line
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 06:47 pm:

The seal on the sediment bulb went on nice and tight so the neoprene should be squashed pretty good. On the carb I could only tighten it where I think it keeps it from leaking. I do not know if I can get in there to make it as tight as on the bulb, but I could probably tighten it more if I really tried. I do not see any leakage.

This is the first time I have used neoprene. Always used the felt before.

Does the neoprene work both ways - real tight and just tight enough? Do you think this is OK?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 02:29 am:

Just tight enough should be fine. It only has to make a seal, there is no pressure unless you are running a fuel pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 02:31 am:

Only tight enough so there is no weeping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 08:11 am:

I used neoprene seals on my gas line and made them a little tighter than was required to seal. The one at the carb side ended up getting very hard and leaking. I spoke with some fuel people at work and they recommended Viton. I don't know if it was the heat, or the seal material, but I pulled both neoprene seals and replaced them with a stack of 3 Vito o rings from Amazon and have not had the problem recurr.

I had to buy a few sizes to find one that fit just right, I will post a link to the right one later today.

Joe

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration