Radiator valance trim

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Radiator valance trim
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

Having just re-plated my nickel radiator shell, I though that adding the bottom valance trim would make the job look complete. So I had one of the chrome ones the vendors sell stripped and nickel plated to match the shell. No my dilemma is how do you attach the thing to the valance? It has a number of tabs on the piece. Am I supposed to cut slots in the valance in order to mount the trim, or is there a better way? Also, why is there a hole on the left hand side of the trim? Is that for the choke rod to pass through? Need advice before I stupidly screw something up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

If you have the bottom valance plated why add the trim it would be gilding the Lilly. :-) Hole for choke pull.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

I believe that original valences came with slots. If yours doesn't have them, it would certainly be easy enough to add them with a Dremel tool and thin cutoff wheel. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

Hi Kevin, we need a little more info. What year is your car.? Can you post a pic of the lower valance panel.? The lower trim strip you show is for 26-27 Improved models. Some repro and also original early 26 lower valances, do not have the slots cut for the "trim strip tabs". The valances without the slots were used on non starter cars and also early 26 cars with painted radiator shells. Langs sells a repro lower valance with the slots already cut. If you have a nickel plated shell then you are supposed to have the nickel plated trim strip on the Improved models ..... have fun and be safe ... Donnie Brown ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

I'm glad Donnie posted that--no sense in messing up an original "non-trim strip" valance to make it into a trim strip one. Besides, you'll likely not get the slots in the right places! They're out there, and more common than the one you have. Do be aware the later ones also have a hole above the crank hole for the added screw to the spring clamp on the late cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

Donnie, info; car is a '26 Touring. Valance was painted black with out slots for the tab. since I suspect this car was pieced together, it would be hard for me to say this valance belongs to the rest of the parts in the vehicle. It did have a (badly) painted radiator shell. However I have wire wheels on the car, so I thought the nickel radiator shell I put on it would be relatively period...and I need my bling. I'll have to check and see if one of the vendors has what I need. And no, I did not mutilate the original valance trying to put slots in it yet. Thanks all for the advice and info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 12:39 am:

Kevin. It is usually very hard to say what is original to a car about 90 years after they were made. A lot of parts were changed when almost new. Then later the owners just used what could be found and would work. Since you say that your radiator shell was painted and the valance has no slots, and it is a 26 model touring. They may have been correct, but it is really almost impossible to say for sure. The nickel shell and the trim strip will give you a lot of "bling" and should look very nice. I believe Langs has the nice quality valance with the holes and correct thimble for the crank in stock. It is part number 3977EBQ. I believe it is in the neighborhood of about 40.00 to 50.00 for the part. Be sure to get the higher quality valance and not the "replacement" valance. You will have to drill the hole for the screw to attach it to the front spring clamp if your clamp has the hole for the screw. If your car was actually an early 26 then it may not have the screw hole in the spring clamp. I agree with David that cutting the slots accurately will not be easy. It would take some very accurate layout and a very small dremmel saw or grinding rock to cut them. The slots are very small. The easiest fix is the repro valance, and then someone with a early 26 or a non starter car, could use the rarer "no slot" valance. There will not be many who would be able to use it, but the one person who "needs" it would love to have it. "have fun and be safe" Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 07:08 am:

The next part of this project will be digging out in the shed where I have a '26 Tudor in pieces that is my next challenge. It had an original nickel shell but no valance strip. I'll have to go out and shuffle through the parts and see if I can find the valance for it. It will be interesting to see if it has the slots in it. The car was built in December '25 and hadn't appeared to have been messed with much when I bought it (other than a horrible repaint job somewhere in the distant past). I thought I remembered reading someplace where the first cars with the nickel radiator shells didn't have the valance trim. That part only came on later'26 models. We'll have to see what it looks like and report back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

I went out an dug through the pile of '26 Tudor parts for that project out in the shed. Found this laying out there in the pile.

There was so much old paint globbed on the thing it was hard to see anything in particular. However what gave it away was that I flipped it over and could see something that looked like bent over tabs under some of the paint. So, off to the basement to get some Zip Strip. After many application and some scrubbing this emerged.

The original nickel valance trim is indeed there, but kinda crusty. After stripping sanding, cleaning, and priming, the valance is ready for some new paint and a new nickel trim strip. I'll save the old one and see if I can clean it up enough to re-plate sometime down the road. Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

Kevin. Nice find. The old trim strip will be good for someone with a "survivor car". The two little holes at the bottom have been added by a previous owner. Probably to tie on a license plate or ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 08:05 am:

The correct term is a splash apron, not valance.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration