Back Rest Spring Pack

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Back Rest Spring Pack
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 05:17 am:

'26 tourer.. just replaced the tacking strips on top of the seat backs, and have a new upholstery kit to go in. Just looking at the rear seat spring set up for the back rest and want to make sure it's the right way in. It was previously in place with the side that has sort of cover strips up the outer edges of the springs, facing the timber support frame. The timber is well marked to indicate that placement. just want to check that it hasn't been changed at some time during its 90 year existence?? Any comments appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

Tony,

Yes, the side that has sort of cover strips up the outer edges of the springs should be facing the timber support frame on the back rest.

Below are some posting that also agree with that and discuss how to hang the back rest spring.

Dan Treace shows a 1926 back rest at the posting: http://modelt.org/discus/messages/2/503.html .

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/111269.html?1256177915 also has some photos posted by Dean Yoder and an explanation by Norman Kling.

Another Dan Treace posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/93630.html?1243783523

Those also agree with the way my 1918 was done from the factory (ok different back cushion spring) but the parallel metal channels which will be on the back of the back rest spring are on also on the bottom of the bottom cushion.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Warning: Seat springs MAY be different in your country Tony (Australia) especially with locally-built bodies. Also, Ford bodies are likely Canadian production, which also may vary from US production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 12:31 am:

Thanks Hap.. I'll refer to those other links, but I am fairly happy with the first sentence of your response..as the marks on the timber pretty well confirm .. if I didn't have such a poor memory, or as I prefer to think of it as a GOOD Forget-ory, I would remember how they were when I took it to bits a couple of weeks ago.
And David , yes you are right regarding the origins of the beast. It is a "Geelong Bodied" T, produced in the Geelong Ford Factory (opened in late '25), from the imported knocked down Canadian product.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 06:01 am:

Tony,

Your welcome. Sorry I missed the location (one possible reason to add some sort of location Australia, USA, Canada, etc. to our user name to remind folks like me that not all the Ts were made in the USA etc.).

All of us tend to forget things. But with the digital camera and phones -- I like to take photos of how it was before I started taking it apart. And if it will be a while -- I sometime lay more complicated parts out showing the order they go back together.

You have a nice looking Ford! While you are fitting the upholstery, would you please take some photos that show the Australian wood framed skeleton that the Canadian 1926-27 panels were fitted over? The USA & Canadian 1926-27 did not have any structural wood, while the Australian cars continued to have the wooden framing in a manner similar to the 1925 and earlier USA & Canadian car had. I would like to capture some of those examples.

David,

You are correct that so many of the Australian bodied cars had unique bodies only produced in Australia. But I believe the springs even in on those would have the parallel metal channels away from the part that our body either sat on or leaned back against the springs. I.e. those metal channels or as Tony described "the side that has sort of cover strips up the outer edges of the springs should be facing the timber support frame on the back rest." If they were installed the other way, those metal cover strips/metal channels would be against us and it would be uncomfortable compared to having them turned the proper direction.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 06:41 am:

Hap... re the wood... no problems. I'll take a few pics in the morning . Would you prefer them posted here , or a new thread, or an email to the address in your profile page ? Took your advice and added the country of origin to the title :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

Tony,

Thank you for adding "Australia" to your user name. That will help me in the future.

Also thank you for offering to send me some additional photos of your car. With some of the upholstery out, hopefully we will be able to better see the additional wood framing that was used on the 1926-27 Australian bodies. I send you an e-mail with my e-mail address, but it is also on the third line down in my profile. You can e-mail a much higher resolution photo than you can post on the forum, so that would be a lot better for me. And of course I use the information to help others so I would hopefully be able to zoom in on specific features if they were being discussed.

They could also be posted on the forum, but I believe we are limited to just under 190kb although some folks have mentioned it may now be up to just under 250kb?

Again thank you for your help.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration