Brake light switch problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Brake light switch problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

The AC brakes have been added. Problem is now I have to come up with another idea as to where to relocate the brake light switch. Because of the shape of the AC brake pedal it wont go where I had it. You guys with AC brakes, where do you put your switch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

I just use the reproduction factory-style switch that clamps onto the Bendix cover. Some folks have had reliability issues with it, but so far mine has held up (was installed in 2008, but only got light use until 2013).

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3158XS.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

I like this one
http://funprojects.com/products/bls-1.aspx
many choices best to look at all of em

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

We had a 1913 Touring with A C brakes. I mounted a board to the body's wooden side rail and mounted a button switch aimed at the brake pedal shaft going into the transmission on the inward edge of that board. The switch has to have a long threaded shaft for a good contacting adjustment for fine tuning.

To do this I got a 90 degree angle bracket and fastened it to the board and then mounted the switch on the angle bracket so it would make contact with the brake mechanism. When I applied the brake, the shaft moved to the left and pushed the button switch to turn on the stop light. Release the brake and the shaft moves away and the brake light goes off. Easy fix under $10.00 and a scrap of wood. This was a hand cranked car and one with a starter would be slightly different in order to clear the starter can and might cost $12.00..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

G.R., That is the only way to go.. Love it. Have it on three of mine. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

Thanks guys, I will get the one from Fun Projects and give it try, looks like it will to the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 04:00 pm:

The Funprojects Brake-light switch is stout and very well made. You will not regret your purchase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

I use a Model A Ford style brake switch mounted to the permanent floor board. It connects to the brake pedal via a loop of safety wire and a small spring. I think you can make out the wire and the spring in this photo. Very handy, does not get in the way of anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration