Wheels up for Doc

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wheels up for Doc
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

Connie Palacioz worked on the assembly line at Boeing in Wichita from 1943 to 1945. One of the B-29 bombers she riveted is Doc. This morning Connie and hundreds of others watched as Doc flew for the first time in decades.

The Kansas Aviation Museum is Wichita's first municipal air terminal, opened in 1935.

Doc on the tarmac, viewed from the museum.

My video: https://youtu.be/WgiTE9MLHuI

Local media: http://www.kansas.com/news/business/aviation/article90144877.html

Doc website: http://www.b-29doc.com/

Thanks to Bob Hester for the heads-up on this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

Awesome, thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

I love the sound of those Radial engines

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

Steve,

Thanks so much for posting! I've been following the progress on & off since Doc was removed from the Navy target range.

What a great day. And what a great story of how so many volunteers contributed to that flight today.

Again, thank you for sharing about it.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

Yea! Fifi is not the only flying B-29 any more. Maybe we can see them at more air shows. One can only hope!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 12:29 am:

Hi, Steve. Glad you made it. The flight was short and sweet but spectacular never-the-less. We were on the second floor balcony of the museum. I was sorry that Doc only made one trip around the pattern but heard later that there was some kind of warning light in the cockpit so they cut it short. Let's see, go to Kansas and visit relatives, meet the "geezer", see Doc fly. Yep, well worth the trip. :-) Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 01:43 am:

The B-29 has a remarkable form and grace that makes them one of the most beautiful
aircraft ever made, in my eyes. The fact that they were still of the "rickety old tin shed"
school of construction makes them even more awesome to have such grace. To see them
in the air and hear that roar is like nothing else. I cannot imagine what a sky full of them
in formation sounded like.

Thanks for the post. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 09:27 am:

I believe that the B 29 was one of the major contributor to the end of WW2.
Beautiful

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 09:31 am:

I believe the B 29 was the major factual in winning WW2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 10:54 am:

Have yet to see a B-29. A few years ago, I went for a short flight on a B-25. Rode out front in the 'greenhouse' the bombardier's seat! Speaking of the sound of radial engines, it was equipped with the Pratt-Whitney 'double-stack nines' each cylinder rated at 100 hp. Yea, do the math, that's 1800 hp on each 4 blade 'fan' Quite interesting to watch the starting of these monsters! All cylinders don't exactly 'light' at the same time. There's a fair amount of hesitation and uncertainty with raw fuel and smoke belching from the exhaust. When they all come to life and get happy, it's quite a song! I must say compared to some drag racing a few years back, I was impressed at how a combined 3600 hp worth of 'wind' pinned me back in the seat on takeoff! For a good read regarding the B-25, see the Doolittle Tokyo Raiders story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 11:10 am:

Yes, it played a major part in ending the war. The Enola Gay was a B-29.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 11:28 am:

The Enola Gay, I believe, IS a B-29 on display at the Smithsonian.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 11:41 am:

I read somewhere that more money was spent on the development and production of the B29 than the Manhattan Project that produced the bomb which made it famous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 03:35 pm:

I flew the 25 and the 26. The 26 had 2000 hp on each wing and could fly circles around the 25. The 25 had a higher lift wing and was not as maneuverable. Was the Enola Gay a 29 or 50?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

Airforce Museum in Dayton has the B29 that dropped the bomb on Nagasaki. Anyone know the name of that plane?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

Bockscar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bockscar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Hal,

Enola Gay was a B29-40-MO. I never heard of that model number until your question piqued my curiosity.

Here is the Wikipedia link for Enola Gay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enola_Gay

I would love to take a ride in Doc someday. I have missed several chances to ride in the B17, B24 and B25 when they make the airshow circuit.

It's great that FiFi now has company. I once saw FiFi flying eye level to me along the Owens Valley in eastern California. I was standing near the junction of the John Muir and Mt. Whitney trails at about 13,600 feet elevation. I looked eastward and saw that unmistakable profile. Wow!

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 12:11 am:

My late father-in-law, "Rocky" Pozniak, was a flight chief maintenance officer on B-29's at the end of WWII. He and his crew, picked up a B-29 at Wichita and after making stops at San Francisco and Honolulu, flew on to Tinian, in one of the first three B-29's to arrive there. The Seabees were still constructing the runways and there were no permanent buildings on the base; only tents. He selected a revetment nearest the future mess hall; only to have it taken away from him and his crew by an officer named Paul Tibbets who mentioned the code, "Silverplate".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 10:49 am:

It's too bad they destroyed the B29 found in Greenland about 20 years ago:
http://airwingmedia.com/videos/2013/story-of-finding-the-b-29-superfortress-kee- bird-in-greenland/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

Glad to see there is another one flying. I've not had the pleasure of seeing Fifi. Now that there are two maybe my chances of seeing one in the air have doubled. I've seen several different B-17s fly and a B-24, but never a 29.

when I was a student pilot in Eufaula, AL, I was doing touch and go's with my instructor, when somebody came on the radio saying "Eufaula traffic, this is North American XXXXX on final to 36". My first thought was P-51. I asked my instructor if he could see the plane. He said "Yeah, it's some 'twin'". No student of history there, huh? My thoughts then turned to B-25. Next time around we stayed on the ground and went to check it out. Nice restoration belonging to Wiley Sanders (Trucking Company owner) in Troy, AL. He has a lot of warbirds down there. The B-25 was fueling up. we talked for while then he took off, but took the time to come back in a high speed low level pass for us. It was great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Nelson - Eastern Iowa on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

More on "DOC"

http://www.b-29doc.com/firstflight/

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration