Wild Cherry II. Still a bridesmaid......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wild Cherry II. Still a bridesmaid......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 12:37 am:

Not yet a bride. Got home from the races in Utah today. We got beat by one of out of about 16 other cars there, by less than two tenths of a second. The winner was a hot model A into which a prodigious amount of cash has been spent. The driver is a true sportsman who invited us to the race and would have been just as pleased had we beaten him. Denny gave us much input on how to Improve our performance with changes to the rear end and suspension, particularly the shocks, springs and four link adjustment to preload the right hand wheel on the launch. We are garnering much respect with the FAST crowd, especially with those who understand we are working with a handicap starting with a model T block. Many assume we are running an A engine with a T body like many are, because we are up there with the quickest cars. We have been enjoying a lot of support from the crowd and everyone who roots for the underdog. We tried to chase down the low E.T. all morning but could not quite get it done. We are losing the race in the first forty feet or so, so we have work to do. I don't think I can ask much more of the engine, I was pushing it close to 6000 RPM's before shifting. We did make some history in the race. We were the first to race in the X class in FAST, that being unlimited, all out race cars, not street legal. We built the car for that, but we were always classed as T5, meaning overhead T speedster. During the event, we were able to meet and talk shop with many guys we knew only through this forum and the Internet. There were two other model T's at this race, and maybe four others at the Santa Margarita races. Thanks to all of our supporters, we will keep the faith. Our next race is in Auburn in September.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 12:54 am:

Good job I know you will get it done for Joe and Chris and perhaps me too, slow Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 12:59 am:

This is the TT dump truck, right ??? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 09:41 am:

Hopefully you'll "Pop" your wild cherry in Auburn with what you learned in Utah. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 10:13 am:

Burger, if it is the TT dump truck, I need to talk to this man,for a long while. I think 20 is the most I ever got out of mine and that was down hill!.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

Erik
I've been following this and have a question. I see you are running a later rear axle. What restrictions/limitations are for the transmission?
Thx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

Would a T5 or a automatic be OK?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

Les, both are OK in the speedster class. We are running a C4 automatic. The model A guys with autos tend to favor the A904 Chrysler. Lots of racers are using T5's. Rules state components must be American made. Rear end is Ford Pinto but will be changed out for something with better ratio for our needs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Erik
Thank you. I need to study the rules. I think in the "skim" I did that supercharged or turbocharged is not permitted, or perhaps in it's own class. I need to examine things I guess
Anyway best of luck
I was thinking of a Halibrand QC (V8 version) with a locker diff.
I could start with 4.11 ratio easily and go from there. Just thinking out loud!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

Burger, the TT dump is very popular at the climbs when I take it. I usually set high E.T. with it but sometimes will beat a stock model T. One time I showed up with a load of scrap iron, heavy towards the back. I became the first one known to have had a front wheel off the ground at a FAST hill climb. The WC2 came as an idea to be the fastest car instead of the slowest. It's just a LOT more difficult and expensive.
Les, I think we need to change the rear end as we are geared to fast, hence the small diameter wheels. I think a QC rear starting with 4.11's would be great. FAST rules are specific as to some things, vague about others. A Ford cylinder block is a requirement. We have that, one of two stock T parts in the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

Still impressive and you've omega along way since she was biult
If I can get to Auburn maybe I be that lucky charm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 11:31 am:

Erik
I just studied the rules and I think I found the answers to all my "stupid " questions. Lots to think about
I wish you all the best of luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:46 pm:

Can you guys share any photos?? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Friday, July 22, 2016 - 12:21 am:

John if you have Facebook you can search sanita margrita ca there're are some picture of my car there (The wild cherry 2) Eric Is driving I don't believe they got any of me I've been looking for walls burg but Denny sprickard has not put it up yet there are a couple on walls burg Utah under hot rod Ali Check her site out But seeing is one thing, pictures don't do it much justice. the name says it all WILD Cherry

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration