HP and torgue values

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: HP and torgue values
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

Anyone know how much torque a stock T engine produces. When properly tuned this little 20 hp engine produces an impressive amount of power.
For example your average lawn tractor engine puts out around 20 hp as well, but I doubt it would move a model T very well.

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

Good point! I think I saw a dyno chart comparing high compression heads that might have included torque.

My friends were commenting yesterday that their 20 hp lawnmower engines might run smoother than my T.

My coil box top is missing, so a loose coil was the source of the occasional engine miss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

Here is a chart that has been posted on the forum before. Your results may vary, depending on modifications and state of tune.

The torque peaks at 83 foot-pounds at 900 - 950 rpm. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

My shift from low to high is generally in the neighborhood of 13-15 MPH. It seems to me that at that point there's plenty of torque to accelerate without any drama. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the meaning of torque, or maybe I'm misunderstanding the chart, but I have the impression that there must be more than what it shows at those speeds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

I think the MPH line in the chart is assuming high gear. At 15 MPH in high (right axis is MPH), the engine would be making about 75 ft lbs of torque which seems plausible.

-Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

With a T crank and broken block with cracked cylinder walls, a cracked crank, badly cracked valve seats, and broken triple gears we put our car on the dyno to see what it would do before it broke. The dyno started its readings at 1850 r.p.m. because it was set up for performance cars that day. We found out that Model T engines are tough and will run when broken.

We started the read at 100 ft lbs of torque at the 1850 mark while making 33 horsepower at that mark. The triple gears failed at 3000 revs as we were accelerating and it spiked at 47.6 horsepower while making 32 ft lbs of torque. The only modification was good ignition, six to one compression, a down draft Stromberg 97 , exhaust headers, and a nasty cam. We were in direct drive. It'l cost you about $1500 if you do it yourself and it's a lot of fun !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Joe, I think Steve is think about when he first gets into high from low. At 15 mph in high the engine is making about 30 pounds feet which is not actually on the chart and not much to accelerate the car, especially with four on board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

Tony,

At 15 MPH in high, the engine is making about 75 ft lbs of torque according to the graph.

The graph is actually three separate charts with a common horizontal axis of RPM. The common RPM axis applies to all the curves, but the each curve uses a different vertical axis. The curve is labeled as to what axis to use. It may be confusing to read.

The axis on the right is MPH. Go to 15 on the right side (third increment up) and move over until it intersects the diagonal line labeled miles per hour. You will see that at 15 MPH in high, the engine is turning at about 600 RPM (the singular horizontal axis)

Now stay on the 600 RPM vertical line and trace up to the curve labeled torque. The 600 RPM vertical line intersects between the 7th and 8th horizontal axis of the torque curve. If you then look at second vertical axis on the left side you will see that corresponds to between 70 and 80 ft lbs of torque.

At the same 600 rpm, you can now look at the horsepower curve and see that it intersects the horizontal at slightly above the 4th horizontal increment, which according to the first vertical axis is slightly above 8 HP.

So at 15 MPH in high, the engine is turning 600 RPM, making about 75 ft lbs of torque and 8 HP.

-Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

Even worn out, they are torque(y) little buggers.
Fast Frank, oh my!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration