Generator Rebuild Part 2

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Generator Rebuild Part 2
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

OK. After digging around and finding an "El Cheapo" alligator clip in my stash, I was able to do another test on the generator.

I first disconnected the battery. (not taking any chances)

I disconnected the battery wire from the cut out and clipped the alligator wire to the battery wire and the armature post.

I re-connected the main battery. And I IMMEDIATELY got a discharge reading on my ammeter.

I started the car, revved to appropriate RPM and the ammeter moved back to the charge side.

I turned the car off, and it went back to discharge. Fiddled around and reconnected the cut out back in the mix and re-started the car.

The ammeter does NOT move. Period, no matter how much I rev the car.

So, what is the final diagnosis??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Also, I tried flashing the genny with a pair of pliers. I did it with the car off, which I assume does nothing, but I got a spark. I then did it with the car running, and got nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

If I understand correctly how the cutout is supposed to work, I'd say yours is toast. See Page 249 in the Bible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

This is what I am leaning towards

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration