Generator rebuild part 3

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Generator rebuild part 3
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

So I took off the cutout and opened up. No wires appear to be broke and solder looks good. However the gap between the points is almost an eighth of an inch. Is that right?Cutout

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 02:53 am:

??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 04:01 am:

William,
In attachment a electric schema of the cutout.
The points distance isn't that critical. I think they were set this way when the cutout was made.

What you can do to see if it should work is, with the cutout of the generator, connect the generator connection to + 12V and the steel part of it's frame to - 12V. The points should close as a relay. If they don't close, the shunt winding is open and your cutout is toasted.
If it close you should have +12V on the battery connection of the cutout, if not clean the points and test again.
By playing with the point distance you only change the tension for closing the points.

I should just replace it with a Fun project VR or a diode style cutout. If your generator is in good condition it will solve your charging problem.

Good luck
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 11:07 am:

1/8" is way too much gap, 1/16" would be better. If the armature is too far from the coil there may not be enough magnetism produced to pull the armature down.
While you have it off, check it for continuity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Ok I tried this and got nothing Might not have used big enough wire but I should have seen some movement

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

William: Is this a new repro cutout? If so junk it. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Just junk It and use a Fun project VR or a diode style cutout.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

I don't know how "new" it is but have had it for at least 15 years. This waste first time I went to use it. I bought it new

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration