Model T Engine in Mississippi River

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model T Engine in Mississippi River
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

A friend of mine who was kayaking on the Mississippi River told me that he saw a engine laying on the shore of the Mississippi River near Red Wing MN. He said that it was a 4 cylinder with 3 peddles sticking out of the water. It took me a while to get a crew together. My nephew, Shamus Ryan and my friend Barry Dosdahl took a fishing boat and went looking for it. We found the engine submerged in water and mud. We rolled it on the shore and looked it over. The serial number indicated that it was a 1924. The block was all busted up. It was too heavy to load on the boat and take home. It's still there if someone is motivated enough to go get it. It was a fun adventure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

Had trouble posting pictures. I will try again this evening. - Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

Sounds like fun! Someone told me last fall about a whole car, or what's left of it, sticking out of the river bank in Fayetteville TN when we were there on tour. I've been wanting to go back and find that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

Cars of a little later vintage, like 1930's to 60's were often used as erosion control along rivers before enviromentalists started to raise concerns - this article suggests it was called "Detroit riprap" :-)
http://www.amusingplanet.com/2012/02/detroit-riprap-abandoned-cars-as.html?m=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Sounds like a spontaneous fun "Huck Fin" kind of day and goofy fun with friends. Those are always good days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 07:46 pm:

You have to check out everything, who knows how many open valve early engines are thrown in the waterways or buried on the farm. You might dig up a goldmine one day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

Way to go! Let us know how it cleans up. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Fenrich on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

Last year while dirtbiking through the bush with some friends, I found what was left of a Model T. I knew it instantly from the exhaust manifold. There was also a headlight bucket, running board, and fender. Of course, I took the manifold home with me and it is in my garage until the rest of a Model T joins it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

They make good anchors for small boats! :-) We used to find many old engines in Mission Bay, San Diego.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Norm, it's common to find old engines in Northern Minnesota Lakes. For years they were used as places for tying diving platforms to. I imagine a few of them would be Ford flavored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

The shore has moved after the lock and dams were built in the 1930,the engine could of been left their or been an anchor or who knows. Another friend has a Sister with an old car body in the woods in Wisconsin. Its my hunting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

I fish down there a couple times a year roughly where is it at?

It's probable under 6-7 feet of water today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 11:27 pm:

Looks great. Put it with Ed's car body and you guys should have a complete car up and running by what........October?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 06:54 am:

Jason We call it the Cannon Bottoms,The land is owned by a wildlife league .Only a boat can get to it.from Levee Perk In Red Wing its west a short mile.give me a call I will draw you a map or go with Dan 615 764 1540

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

Mystery solved; a prominent Red Wing business man said the engine was used to power a winch to pull boats out of the river.His family donated the land to wildlife club a long time ago.He is in his eightes and remembers it being used.He felt sheepish because they left junk behind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

If you're having any trouble getting it started, it may be due to water in the carb (lol).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

sandblasting and kroil will help in salvaging the use-able parts.
yes,I would be trying to save something off it if it was only a nut and bolt. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

Junk? Bah.
Nice update Dan! Thank you!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration