How much grease can get through the 4th main?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How much grease can get through the 4th main?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

If you pack your universal joint and then the next year you pump it full of more grease, how much will get through the 4th main or down the drive shaft? Where does it all go?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 18, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

On my '24, some oozes out the U-joint ball on every drive. However, I'm sure that some also works its way down the drive shaft housing, where it causes no harm. It would take a lot of years of grease pumping to fill up that housing! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

As long as the grease you use does not contain graphite or polymdnym It will mix with the engine oil and not cause a problem. However if it contains the above, it could cause a problem with the magneto.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

I would not worry about graphite in this location. The engine oil washes the grease out to the rear and the amount of graphite that would get pulled in, if any, is very small. You are going to get more metal slough from the rings scraping up and down the cylinders (the black goo you see on the magnets etc).
I would use a wheel bearing type grease if you have it. The general use type grease seems a little weeper in the first place and mixed with any hot oil from engine plus rotation of U-joint just wants to fling it out any where it can. Nice big glop's! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

Dave, the fourth main is ahead of the universal joint. For excess grease to go down the driveshaft it has to go through the driveshaft bushing.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration